Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I am contemplating the idea of cabbage rolls stuffed with corned beef and potatoes.

Does it sound better as a corned beef hash with cubed potatoes or shredded corned beef mixed with mashed potatoes?

Would you include cheese inside? What about a sauce? A cheesy sauce? I am also thinking about topping with a fried egg.

1 Like

Corned beef hash is the best way to eat corned beef IMO.

i’m not a huge fan of ‘golubtsi’, but it is a special and even fancy dinner in the old country. although never saw potatoes inside. i’ll just eat the stuffing, discard the mushy cabbage. its job is to make things moist. no cheese. wtf would it even do in there? tomato based sauce on top. can be made spicy.

Doesn’t sound very Irish.

Rice. Tomato sauce. But yeah, that’s basically stuffed cabbage.

I always use the Whole Food multigrain dough and it comes out great

1 Like

Yea they all work great and it saves some time. We’ve been using the Trader Joe’s garlic & herb recently.

1 Like

Baked salmon and colcannon with Irish butter for tonight, plus a bit of the black stuff.

Eating stuffed cabbage now strangely. Always a dish that tasted better than it looks

3 Likes

I ended up going with a corned beef and mashed potato cabbage roll with a horseradish-parsley sauce. I think my ratio of potatoes to beef was bad and the whole thing felt under-seasoned, but I feel the concept is viable and I could perfect it if I wanted to. Going with mashed rather than cubed potatoes worked for the roll to keep its shape more. Since I had cooked corned beef rather than raw ground meat, I didn’t go with the 60-90 minute bake time that I saw in various cabbage roll recipes, but maybe I should have.

It’s a Beignet kind of night.

8 Likes

14 Likes

Made this yesterday. Nothing spectacular but an easy and quick recipe that was pretty tasty. You might get an allergic reaction to weissman’s editing.

I was missing some heat element which I added later.

2 Likes

I love his videos. The editing is self aware silly.

What ambient temperature is it rated upto? I’d be nervous about cooking the electronics.

I use one of these types of thermometers:

Very accurate, remains in the food while cooking and 20% of the cost of wireless models.

Just combined a few recipes and made the best tofu of my life. Crispy on the outside. Firm on the inside

10 Likes

I can never get my tofu crispy, very jealous.

1 Like

Nice. What’s your tofu technique?

I take extra firm tofu, squeeze out the water, cut into one inch cubes, lightly coat them with oil, then cover them with a mix of cornstarch and spices, place on a baking tray with parchment paper, bake at 400 for 35 minutes flipping them half way through. They end up pretty crispy and tasty with softness in the middle, but I’m always looking to upgrade my technique.

3 Likes

This is the first time I’ve tried this particular method. I just combined all the best things I’ve read and tried.

1. Salted a block of firm tofu.
  2. Rubbed the salt all over with my hands to really work it in.
  3. Pressed for 30 minutes.
  4. Cubed
  5. Tossed in 1 cup of cornstarch (seemed like an excessive amount). Added S&P to the mix.
  6. Pan fried over med high in grapeseed oil (high smoke point).
  7. Drained.
  8. Made a stir fry sauce from scratch for the tofu only. Soy sauce, corn starch, honey, minced ginger, minced garlic and crushed red pepper.
  9. Coated the fried tofu well and drained off the excess sauce.

Pretty sure I’m only making tofu this way going forward. I’ve never gotten a really crispy result baking.

5 Likes