Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Kenji’s 3 Ingredient Mac - straight delicious and quick.

7 Likes

I watched “The Chef Show” on Netflix after watching John Favreau’s movie “Chef”. Lots of stuff I want to try, but one thing that I really wanted to do was the French onion soup.

Not a great pic, but a great soup. Most of the French onion soup I’ve had was more like beef broth with onions in it. This really has the onions at the forefront.

Episode " Extra Helpings with Babish and Dave".

11 Likes

Someone got me this Chief brand of curry powder from Trinidad. I guess maybe it should be cancelled, but holy moly this is buy far the best curry powder I’ve ever tried. Been making curry stir fry twice a week, I want to try some curry soup.

91rC010eItL.SY741

IMG_0303

5 Likes

The Chef Show is one of my favorite shows ever. Favreau’s desire to learn is contagious.

3 Likes

+1. Favreau and Choi are a delight.

1 Like

I can’t stand Favreau and some of his friends make me rage but Choi is great.

Great movie and great show!

I posted some a few weeks back that’s just onions, water, salt, pepper, and a bit of wine or vinegar for seasoning. No stock or broth. Takes all day to caramelize the onions but other than the time commitment it’s pretty easy and delicious.

Bought a butcher box of “plant meat” from a Canadian company. Used the pepperonis this week on two different pies. First was moz, pizza sauce from scratch, shrooms and olives. Second was moz, ricotta and red onion.

9 Likes

Link?

https://us.verygoodbutchers.com/collections/all-products/products/a-big-box-of-vegan-meat

There’s a promo code out there for like 20% off too. Burgers were ok. Definitely black bean burgers and nothing like faux meat. Taco meat was good. Pepperoni was very good.

2 Likes

Those are some fantastic looking pies.

1 Like

Thanks! Got a blue apron recipe years ago for the spinach ricotta pie I posted way upthread. We liked it so much we just kept making it. Parents got me a cast iron pizza stone for Christmas and it’s definitely improved the final product.

I cheat and use the raw dough from TJs or WF. Sue me.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/KevOnStage/status/1370417271118589959

Yup, I’ve made this. It’s so easy and so good. Every other time I’ve made mac and cheese from scratch (using some other recipe, not making it up myself), it’s all oily and the cheese doesn’t coat well. This shit works.

1 Like

In my experience this usually happens if you cook the cheese too much so the fat separates from the cheese. When I finally got my mac and cheese the way I like it, the key thing was to cook the white sauce down to the desired thickness, then turn the burner off and melt the cheese in using only the residual heat of the white sauce. Don’t cook the sauce at all after the cheese is in.

2 Likes

Made Kenji’s ragu Bolognese with homemade fresh wide noodles. Pretty great. I was a little short on parsley to give it a bit more herbaceous acidity on top of the richness. I think his red sauce recipe is better, but this coming in behind one of my favorite recipes in the world is hardly criticism.

7 Likes

Happy Pi Day!

Chicken pot pies, with filling from Serious Eats, and with black truffle and puff pastry topping from a Wolfgang Puck / Tasty recipe. Pretty great, would do again.

8 Likes

That’s a good looking pot pie. Certainly appears to be a sick amount of truffle you’ve got in there.

What’s the plan for the leftovers? Do you just make up new puff pastry every time?

My folks and my brother were over (all of them vaccinated), so that’s why there are so many. We have some leftovers, so we’ll either buy some more puff pastry, or use pie crust, or biscuit dough, or just eat it as soup.