Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I used to do the Gordon Ramsey way but tried with the slurry this morning, it cooked much quicker, curds where bigger and still had that creamy consistency.

1 Like

I appreciate the perspective. I can’t say I’d expect to encounter too many people who’ve tried both ways. I’m not even sure I would ever bother to try both, as I’m more of an over easy guy. But my older daughter likes scrambled, so maybe I’ll think about it.

Too lazy to look for the passage right now but I’m pretty sure that Michael Ruhlman’s method of scrambling eggs was to actually simmer water in a large pan and place a smaller pan with eggs in it to cook them on indirect heat. Since then I always cooked eggs on low heat but in the Food Lab Kenji says to do medium heat and stir constantly. I’ve found that the texture comes out better this way so I’ve switched.

Try adding sour cream to your scrambled eggs. I learned this trick when Ralphie Ciferetto did it on The Sopranos and it makes them noticeably lighter and fluffier. 1-2 teaspoons per egg to your mixture, whisk away and scramble. The sour cream will be a little clumpy in the bowl but will cook down fine in the pan so don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Home made chilaquiles with over medium eggs on top.

12 Likes

I just grunched like 200 posts so this may have been posted -

Trader Joe’s has a frozen shakshuka starter (just add eggs, and maybe some harissa). It’s pretty good, and fast, if you’re in a rush and don’t have time to make the real stuff. @Yuv , I’m tagging you just in case you want to unleash anger that your food has been appropriated.

1 Like

after seeing chocolate hummus in my grocery store i’ve become immune.

3 Likes

speaking of trader joe, are people here familiar with Bamba?

That is the real actual national food of Israel. They sell it on TJ and I can eat infinite bags.

3 Likes

Hey look I made stuffed peppers last night and took pictures for some reason

19 Likes

I live alone and I’m too lazy to stuff peppers, so I make “unstuffed peppers” in a pan with ground beef, tomatoes, onions, and chopped up green peppers.

4 Likes

I am partial to stuffed eggplants, they soak up juices and flavors from the filing in a way that peppers don’t.

2 Likes

This is the pro move. That’s a fun dish to make if you enjoy cooking, or a pain in the ass to make if you don’t or if you don’t have a lot of time. Plus it’s messy. I only do them every six months or so for that reason. But they sure are yummy :yum:

If you want to feel fancy, call it “deconstructed stuffed peppers”.

3 Likes

Stuffed peppers are one of those dishes that seems not worth the effort to me but then I’ll taste one and think “damn this is good.”

Made the spiced coconut chicken rice from this month’s Bon Appetit because it sounded easy and I was curious about the technique they use to keep the rice from getting mushy: draping a kitchen towel between the pan and the lid so that water doesn’t drip down. It worked incredibly well, resulting in what I’d consider 10/10 textured rice. The dish overall was good but I wish I had thought to add more stuff to it, as it was just chicken, rice, and some kale on top. Doesn’t look like it but the kale wilted nicely off the heat. I’ll make it again as it was a huge hit with the wife and kid but will probably add some green beans.

7 Likes

In high school instead of taking another year of Spanish I took intro to cooking. Easily the most applicable class taken in my too many years of schooling.

Our final exam was to cook a dish and I chose stuffed peppers. Obv not the most creative idea but it’s one of my favorites. Those look nice.

2 Likes

I made creamy anchovy pasta. I’m not sure how sold I am on anchovies.

7 Likes

had leftover dumpling dough, and made scallion pancakes for the first time. definitely room for improvement, but overall i would call it a success

11 Likes

Try making puttanesca sauce next. Anchovies are pretty excellent.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a shot. This pasta was too salty and had just a bit too much anchovy for me. I used 8, but will probably reduce it to 5 if I make it again.

1 Like

Haha wow that’s a lot of anchovy.

1 Like