Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

We make this nearly identically every week. After step 5 we sift the tofu to remove excess cornstarch. Toss in celery for crunch when glazing tofu.

Serve w brown rice and bok choy. Garnish w togarashi and sesame seeds.

@Trolly i remember you had this same comment a while back. Maybe I’m over simplifying it, but this process shouldn’t steer you wrong.

3 Likes

Yorkshire pudding is so awesome. I need to make that again. It’s so good but sets off my smoke detectors every time. Lol

1 Like

kinda off topic but i don’t get how people live with these here (and i guess Canada are the same). Mine went off so many times cooking i just took it off.

Signed up for a summer vegetable CSA. Everyone says it will be too much food for one person. Planning to lean hard on my freezer.

They gave out some winter greens the other day. I did this with the Russian red kale and carrots …

10 Likes

That’s gorgeous.

1 Like

I made a frittata for the first time the other day. It did… not look that good.

Heading to dinner tomorrow - what would you order?

I think we’re going 1. Crudo 2. Radish 3. Puttanesca (this one is tough) 4. Skirt steak.

Do you have to get one of each? Idk it all sounds good although I definitely support the crudo out of the first group.

Oh wait you’re in Phoenix! I used to live in that area but that restaurant wasn’t there yet. Where else are you eating? It’s been a while but I may have some suggestions if needed. Lux for coffee if you can.

No I just broke it up like that. Crudo is a guarantee with the 90 degree heat.

Looks good, I’d prob add a Pork Belly “for the table”

3 Likes

buttered radishes sounds boring. i’d take the carrots. this is heavily middle eastern (i never even seen dukkah in the US), so usually when i see such a specific dish in a restaurant i assume someone knows what he’s doing here. also i’m a big labaneh fan.

i’d go with the same for the rest of the dishes.

gotta say though this menu is really out there with middle eastern stuff, italian stuff, asian stuff. weird mix, even though each dish sounds delicious by itself.

also i haven’t been in a real restuarant in so long i spent time giving my input on the menu order of a dude on an internet forum.

1 Like

Man, that menu bothers me. Like, on the one hand, they leave out a ton of words (fingerling what, motherfuckers?!) but then their description of the accompaniments to the buttered radishes begins “radish, butter.” Either pretentiously leave out key words, or don’t. Pick one!

That said, the crudo looks to be one of the more interesting things on the menu, but I don’t like raw scallops. I’d probably go with the carpaccio myself. Skirt steak with both chimichurri and horseradish seems like they should have just picked one or the other. I might lean towards the pork chop if it’s a bone in rib chop. Pork belly and carrots look pretty good, too.

1 Like

I’ve gotten take out but mostly from the same places. I’ve been reading this menu over and over again like it’s a recently found Dead Sea scroll or something. Also when I realized where I was I started thinking about the area since I’m familiar with it.

1 Like

Also seems like there’s a good chance you get a whole new menu tomorrow.

1 Like

I wrote the OP wrong. We are headed there tonight. I’ll take some pictures of what we end up going with. I’ll be sure to include a pretentiousness rating.

i do take out but the food in davis ranges from bad to mediocre at best and getting take out from sacramento isn’t really an option most of the times.

really miss good food. i should do takeout from Chez Wookie.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie I’m getting a massive undeserved pretentiousness vibe based on that menu, and I’m looking forward to having my prejudice confirmed.

3 Likes

I’m also overly excited because it’s not common for someone to visit near my old crib, rather than in like Scottsdale. Central Phoenix is low-key awesome even if there are some mildly sketchy areas. There are a lot of great places to eat and drink there and because it’s Phoenix they’re usually reasonably priced compared to what you would see in another large city.

A lot of places have goofy hipster menus like this there but they generally weren’t too pretentious in my experience. There is one relatively popular place there though that I never had a good experience at: Le Grande Orange. They had some good stuff but screw that place.

2 Likes

it kinda feels like greatest hits compilation. which is kinda why i find the carrot dish interesting but maybe it’s also borrowed from somewhere i’m not familiar with.

Yeah, you can tell that the top half of the menu is mostly Italian or at least close to it, albeit not what most Americans think of first when they think of Italian cuisine. But then they throw on French, Japanese, Spanish, Argentine, Middle Eastern, and some random ass chicken wings and you totally lose sight of that by the time you get to the bottom of the menu. Not a lot of mixing of traditions, either, at least outside of the skirt steak, which seems like a really weird combination.