Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Last summer was the first summer we had a garden and we had a lot of fun rotating through the greens (basil, cilantro, kale, parsley, fresh oregano) in a bunch of different variations on a weekly basis to make variations on pesto. We would also mix up which nut (classic pine and toasted walnuts seem to work best) and the oil (classic olive of course, but our local farmers market had a really tasted sunflower oil that makes great pestos).

Right now our garden is under 3 feet of snow, you’re making me miss it!

2 Likes

Someone on a podcast I listen to mentioned using kitchen shears to slice pizza instead of the spinny wheel thing and that makes me incredibly mad. Is anyone actually cutting their pizza that way?

No this would be incredibly dumb and you should never listen to that podcast again

1 Like

I dont but I will say that scissors/shears are underused tools generally in the kitchen. There’s a lot of pride that goes into good knife skills but sometimes scissors it just easier and safer.

1 Like

They’re right that normal pizza cutters suck though. If you cut a hot pizza it just utterly destroys your cheese and toppings. Fucks them up entirely.

The answer is I guess just to wait a few minutes, but sometimes you want that hot gooey pizza.

If it wouldn’t be a huge PITA to store, I’d get one of those big rocking knife things.

1 Like

I lost my pizza cutter and used kitchen shears before. It honestly worked better. Especially when the pizza has a thick crust.

Excellent point. Pepe’s in New Haven (and now a bunch of other locations) asks if you want it cut or not when you get takeout to avoid this very thing. It was super confusing the first time I heard it but makes perfect sense after thinking about it for a minute.

Apparently cutting pizza with scissors in common in Italy?

1 Like

I had to google what kitchen shears are. I think those are scissors.

The distinction between shears and scissors was a question once posed on Helen Hong’s podcast.

Indeed. They tend to have a better grip in my experience, I suppose because cutting through chicken bones is tougher work than what you might typically use household scissors for.

I bought this box of Pho bowls at Costco right before the 'rona and just tried them recently. I’m about eat my 3rd bowl today. Pretty damn good.

2 Likes

I have a pizza slicer but ignore it in favour of a big ass knife that sorts out a pizza in no short time.

We had one of these when i cooked at a casual Italian restaurant. Perfect for the job.

za

Very casual apparently because i always thought pesto alla genovese was “pesto”

3 Likes

:arrow_up: This is what I meant. They seem so cool

I don’t know what that thing is called, but it should definitely be called a pizza Bat’leh.

1 Like

4:55 for the payoff. That’s right.

1 Like

dunno what’s wrong with your pizza places, but mine comes sliced already.

I needed a reminder of summer, so we got some frozen peaches and made a peach cobbler. Turned out really well.

5 Likes

scissors goat for pizza, chickens, etc.