Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Yeah, I’m with you on this.

Who in their right mind would prefer a macaron over a chocolate chip cookie made with equal skill and quality of ingredients? It seems impossible, imo.

I’m willing to believe I just need to take a trip to France to unlock the true potential. Maybe in 2025.

I’ve tried that. I’d rather have a Kenji chocolate chip cookie.

2 Likes

If you like those abominations you might try Zupan’s Market at W Burnside and NW 23Av, it’s a fancy grocery store that I once mistakenly bought some of those at. They also have a good meat section and may have a lead on your pig parts.

There is a Ramen place on NE Alberta St I liked, called Akasaru Ramen (2712 NE Alberta) in a swanky little neighborhood, it’s also right down the street from the best deep dish pizza I had in Portland, Via Chicago (2013 NE Alberta St) OK, 2 blocks.

You could also try Olympic Provisions and see if they have a source for pig parts, they make their own dried meats and may be able to help you out.

Any good butcher shop that is breaking down whole hogs for retail will have a plethora of bones and trotters and heads. Probably cheap, too, as these parts tend not to fly off the shelves.

Do a bit of research, make a few calls, you’ll source what you want in no time.

Trip report opportunity @MrWookie: purchase a hindquarter of pork from Proletariat, then make a variety of porcine sundries (including ramen broth) and let us know how it goes!

A perfect macaron is great. The lady I sleep with still raves about tiny little lemon ones we got at a MTL patisserie. They’re supposed to be shockingly flavourful - like the most intense bite of that flavour you’ve had in years. Fridge kind of ruins them but that’s where most people store them.

Yeah back in 2011 I spent half the summer working in NYC right around the corner from a place that specialized in macrons. I would pop over there at 10am for coffee and a couple of macrons that they had just made that morning and were fresh. Out of this world. But they have no staying power. If I bought a box of 6 and split them with my wife that evening they would taste stale.

I see this reaction a lot. In fact, the lady I sleep with (i.e., wife) fucking loves them and is always on the look out for a high quality macaron. So I’ve had my fair share of good ones. I’m not saying they are bad. In fact, they’re quite good. But still miles behind a good, freshly baked chocolate chip cookie.

2 Likes

I don’t know what I made, but it was good, cheap, easy, and quick.

1. Sautéed garlic
  2. Chopped tomatoes and liquid to a boil
  3. Add peas, capers, and shrimp
  4. Add some basil and arugula
  5. Butter obv
  6. Served over brown rice.

4 Likes

That’s exactly how i cook. First you saute garlic then you decide what you’re making

12 Likes

You made a rice bowl.

1 Like

On a lark, I had a notion to make pesto out of roasted red peppers. Very simple and turned out delicious.

IMG_0289

IMG_0291

4 Likes

it looks delicious, but what makes it a pesto?

Just got an air fryer and made this recipe, was great!

Air fryer is super easy to use, cooks fast and seems to be a nice middle ground between deep frying and baking in cooking results.

It’s my understanding that anything you smash together with olive oil and parmesan cheese in a pestle counts as a pesto and don’t get nitty on me by telling me I’m not actually using a pestle. I didn’t have room in my pestle for all the roasted red pepper I had.

1 Like

i wasn’t, i was genuinely asking.

1 Like

I would say nuts are essential to pesto but thats just based in my preferences.

2 Likes

Yeah there’s nuts in there for sure. And garlic, obv.

I think I posted a cilantro pesto I made a while back.

Not that I feel especially militant about food nomenclature, but depending on the nuts, your creation may be a closer cousin of romesco than pesto. I’m sure it’s delicious no matter what you call it

4 Likes

Yep. I’m a big fan of almonds and romesco is delicious.