Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

That’s a nice kitchen you’ve got there. A shame that you have no bowls.

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1358928116081713152

2 Likes

Anyone ever make their own hot sauce?

It was a neat article, but I can’t hardly envision myself ever trying to do it, given the abundance of good options I can just buy that are likely to be better than my first few attempts (which could take years to go through).

1 Like

Well I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m really intrigued with developing my own sauce flavors so might as well go for it. I’ll send you some once I go through a few trial batches haha.

2 Likes

Oh, don’t get me wrong, that’s just my opinion. I think it’s pretty sweet that you’re going to try it out, and I’d be interested in your progress and thoughts.

1 Like

We don’t make hot sauces using the techniques(or similar ones) laid out in the website you linked. But we do generally have a few jars of home made fermented and/or pickled foods. We use variations of liquid bases comprised of salty brine, apple cider vinegar, the left over pickle/peperoncini/jalapeno juices from the cans or jars they come in. Then we add different spices, ginger, garlic; cauliflower florets, carrots slices, peppers, green beans, cabbage, onions etc. And we chop up the excess material from brocoli and cauliflower stems, almost any leftover veggie material will work.

They work great as complimentary flavors with meals, and I’m pretty sure there are digestive health benefits of eating fermented foods.

3 Likes

We do the same. I would rather eat a quick pickled vegetable over a fresh one any day (except a fresh tomato); especially with a charcuterie board. You can inject that shit directly into my veins.

2 Likes

Try Russian pickled tomatoes and you won’t need the disclaimer.

Been messing around with Bobs red mill whole grain soup mix.

Made this chicken curry soup directly from the recipe on the back of the package.

Turned out really well. God I fricking love lentils.

5 Likes

Making Harissa or Zhug is rather easy and doesn’t involve a really long fermentation process (although that’s part of the fun for some i assume).

I grew up with those and not hot sauces so it’s also way better tasting to me.

Here’s a Kenji recipe, which is required by forum rules (i just use a blender in the rare occasion i make it mysef)

1 Like

Instant Pot Butter Chicken

6 Likes

I’ve made that like 5 times in the last few months.

3 Likes

Hot Sauce Day!

13 Likes

I hope everyone has a good Valentine’s Day!

9 Likes

Birria tacos inspired to be buffalo style. It’s dumb, but it’s also really good, These are mildy burned but it doesn’t matter. The burned bits may have been the best.

4 Likes

Made some steak tonight.

10 Likes

Bravo!

I didn’t make the sushi sorry lol. I guess I drunkenly used this thread to post about good food I ate and not that I cooked! Didn’t mean to mislead.

3 Likes

Steak looks awesome. Hope that was your toddlers portion tho’. I’d be searching around for the rest of it or demanding my main course…

Hahaha! Yeah, I had seconds. I cooked 2 large ribeyes for 4 people plus a toddler and we even had leftovers.