Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Kenji’s tonkotsu ramen, everything from scratch except for the noodles.

11 Likes

One of my favorite side dish to pretty much everything in the past few weeks is Mast-O-Khiar, which is a Persian Tzaziki.

I’m still working on the exact recipe, but the base is mixing Kefir with a good “greek” yogurt, diced cucumbers and dry mint.
Rotating shallots and garlic till i find the perfect balance.

3 Likes

You cook some great food, but your portions seem to be absurdly small. Did you like eat half of that first before the photo? Did you have anything else.

I am actually jealous. If I could be good with that, I would be a lot less fat than I am.

1 Like

He just has giant bowls.

1 Like

The bowls I use share pictures of are giant ramen bowls a lot of the time. It’s deceiving. They are normal 2 person portions.

I really want to do this, but I can’t convince myself I have the willpower to do the whole process. Looks fantastic obviously.

Yeah, it was great. The broth wasn’t quite as good as my favorite ramen place that I left behind in the Bay, but it was no slouch. Making the recipe as written, you definitely need a ton of salt (or salt+soy sauce, if you want) at the end, given that you start with basically nothing.

1 Like

Is this the recipe that starts with pigs feet etc.? I dont know if I can easily source trotters for example. I’d have to make the whole thing out of rib bones or something.

The recipe says trotters, but looking at the pics, they look a lot like the shanks we got at Whole Foods. I also used salt pork instead of fatback, because I’m not really sure where to source fatback. It seemed close enough.

1 Like

Thanks for comment, I might give this a whirl at some point. We like ramen, but mostly make cheap imitations at home. Like “vaguely Asian chicken noodle soup”, lol.

So far my best inauthentic home ramen comes from buying the pre-made boxed ramen broth at the store, and adding some grilled char siu. We like to grill char siu one night, then use leftovers in the ramen the next.

That’s honestly not a bad approach. And if you’re making the stock for your “vaguely Asian chicken noodle soup,” that’s probably some style of ramen, just not one of the more popular ones in America.

Wait, didn’t you just move from the Bay area to Seattle? Are you…are you actually Kenji?

Wookie once posted a pic with his child in it and she seemed too…Caucasian for him to be Kenji.

Pretty sure he moved to Portland

2 Likes

racist

Your post inspired me to use up some leftovers to make breakfast hash today.

Potatoes, corned beef, cabbage, onion, bell peppers and jalapeños. Delish.

8 Likes

Looks phenomenal! Egg looks top tier.

1 Like

Simple over easy. Doesn’t plate as well as a sunny side up but I dont like uncooked egg whites.

1 Like

You can do sunny side up and get cooked whites, along with steaking that is one of the only things in the kitchen I feel I’ve mastered.

Yeah I just don’t bother. If I flip it and cook it for 10 seconds its the same affect

2 Likes