Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Dijon crusted rack of lamb, spicy crispy roasted potatoes, with some broccolini and a tasty garlic brioche. omnomom

11 Likes

Are those the Kenji potatoes?

1 Like

Yup, but with more cayenne to add that heat

1 Like

Ugh got my fahrenheit confused and overcoocked a beautiful ribeye. Can democrats make america metric?

2 Likes

that’s on you dude. try not to crash any spacecraft into mars.

1 Like

Whenever i do overcook a steak (and obviously still eat it) it just amazes me that some (most?) people specifically request it to be cooked this way.

Now is your time to try it with some ketchup with little judgement! :joy:

3 Likes

it looked decent before i realized my mistake

1 Like

New favorite recipe from my favorite cookbook:

Kale Salad with warm bacon dressing

1. Shred a bunch of Kale, toss in a bowl with a bit of salt and olive oil

2. Chop up 4-6 oz of bacon, fry it in a pan until crispy

3. Turn off heat, leave bacon fat and bacon in the pan. Stir in 3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 Tbsp Creme Fraiche (or heavy cream), 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard

4. Combine the Dressing from the pan with the Kale and eat.

3 Likes

I frequently use basically that same dressing over spinach, hardboiled eggs and mushrooms for weekend brunch. So tasty!

3 Likes

Peruvian lomo saltado using this recipe: Lomo Saltado (Peruvian Stir-Fried Beef With Onion, Tomatoes, and French Fries) Recipe

Highly recommended! Threw in a fried egg on top for added deliciousness.

6 Likes

Baking gurus: I’m making Kenjis sticky buns and just realized I don’t have plastic wrap. Can I just use tightly wrapped aluminum foil instead during the rise?

My first instinct is no because aluminum foil would keep heat from getting in there which you need a little bit of for the rise, but I’m not 100% on that. Maybe use something like Parchment Paper if you have that.

Aluminum isn’t that great of an insulator when it’s just a single layer, and there’s not actually an issue with sticking the whole thing in the fridge overnight at that point. I am not even really sure that the seal is necessary, maybe to keep in some of the CO2 from the fermentation? I dunno, I’d just forge ahead with foil.

1 Like

This is one of my favorite, and hard to find, dishes. May have to learn how to cook it myself.

1 Like

The plastic is there to keep the surface from drying out and hindering any oven spring. Foil probably won’t seal well enough, I would put a damp tea towel or the like on it.

1 Like

The recipe I linked is fairly easy to follow, it’s just like any other stir fry.

The only ingredient that may be a little hard to find is the yellow Chile. I usually get it whole in the frozen section of the international market, or as a paste/sauce, which also works fairly well.

You cooked it to an internal temperature of 125C?

lol no, i just had the wrong number in my head (155 insteald of 135) because i still have no idea what f are.

Ya, that’s the pepper that’s going to be hard to find.

I’ll ask around my area and see who has it.