Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

4 Likes

Currently have bacon rendering in my cast iron skillet. Bad jew :(

4 Likes

Can you even get bacon in Israel?

hmm, yeah.
also I live in California.

I know you don’t live there now, but I just figured it might be hard to come by in Israel because of a lack of demand. So, you’re telling me that you can just go down to your local Safeway equivalent and get a slab of bacon? Is it generally local or imported?

There’s a large nation wide supermarket chain started by Russian immigrants that is not Kosher. Most nation wide supermarkets are kosher. But you can also get it in non supermarkets places of course.

Same for non-fish seafood. But while i had pork in my house, we never had shrimp/scallops/calamari simply because it wasn’t really a thing in supermarkets.

Ham was more common than Bacon for us. We never had bacon tbh.

Did you eat fried wurst back in Israel?

That’s a strangely specific question. I guess? Not really a sausage man.

That’s kind of close to what I would have expected except for ham at (some) supermarkets. I figured most of the Jews would keep kosher. And halal is pretty similar, so that covers the next largest demographic group. So, it seemed like there wouldn’t be much demand for pork products and as such there wouldn’t be much value in stocking them at a supermarket.

What percentage of Israeli Jews do you think keep kosher? Or at least kosher enough that they don’t eat pork products?

i have no clue tbh. Depends where you are. The large majority of restaurants in Tel Aviv are not kosher. The large majority of restaurants in Jerusalem are. I guess there are seculars who don’t eat pork specifically while not keeping kosher.

There is still a big enough demand which is how the Russian supermarket chain got so successful to begin with. They started off as a deli-type store in an open market in Tel Aviv and are now a nation-wide huge supermarket chain.

My Muslim wife has assured me that God forgives her for bacon and pepperoni. Her view appears to be somewhat self serving but I say you run with it.

4 Likes

That super sulphuric stank that happens when you open vacuum sealed meat (pork ribs in this case) is normal right? I bought some frozen ones from my local butcher, thawed for 2 days, and just opened them up. Smells like ass, but I’m fairly certain that’s common from them being vacuum sealed. Am I wrong?

If it helps, I’ve never had vacuum sealed or cryovac meat smell like ass.

I think I’d be tossing that out.

1 Like

I’ve had this smell before several times. I have a hard time believe every piece of vacuum sealed meat I’ve had is bad lol. It’s weird…

The internet says this is actually very common and totally normal with vacuum sealed meats. I would let it sit out for a few minutes and see if the smell dissipates. If after a few minutes the meat itself smells ok, has no discoloration, etc then you’re probably fine.

1 Like

I’ve got it in the fridge with a dry spice rub on it. If it smells when I take it out I’ll toss it.

It’s fine, I call it Bag Funk. Next time, wipe it down well with a few paper towels.

1 Like

LOL…I was asking because according to the interwebs fried wurst (with eggs) is about the only type of breakfast meat eaten by Israelis.

It is not a breakfast typically eating in Israel.

An Israeli breakfast is actually completely different than anything i’ve seen in the world.

Not to brag, but this was an absolute money meal.

11 Likes