Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

9 Likes

Hot zik… real hot. Great crust!

We also made cornbread in the cast iron tonight (first snow of the year). I hardly ever use cast iron. Rarely see vegan / veg recipes for it.

4 Likes

Looks good. I used Kenji’s recipe and it was awesome.

2 Likes

I am so glad I have a passable knowledge of cooking.

https://twitter.com/AlexHolleyFOX29/status/1339326158358405122?s=20

put a sky tram there and people will pay 5k for a swiss alpine experience.

4 Likes

heh…I think that’s the Plough and Stars in NYC, which is admittedly very good, but still.

You can ride the gondola at Mammoth to McCoy station, mid-mountain, for like $25 a person. There’s a restaurant there. The food isn’t as good, I’m sure, but the views are 10000 times better.

I’m sad that dungeness crab season has been delayed until December 23. I was hoping to get one for Christmas. I will now be researching alternatives for a crustacean Christmas for one. Shucking oysters myself is right out, but other suggestions are welcome.

a christmas crab has been a recent tradition for us. are they really not going to be available?

never tried to do a grilled octopus. could probably try that.

I assume it will be available if you live on the West Coast. I have to figure out how far I want to travel to get ingredients.

I almost always do red meat for Christmas, and my family tradition is to do crab for New Year’s Eve. The thinking behind that one is that crab takes so long to pick and eat that by the time you are done with dinner, it’s just about time for the late night festivities (my family New Year’s celebrations are typically pretty lame just spent at home). Lots of reasons why that is a good plan this year!

Costco sometimes has incredible prices on Crab Legs. We’ve gotten King Crab legs for around $20/lb before. If you have a large steam pot it’s the easiest thing to make too. Just toss em in the steamer for about 5-7 minutes with an entire carton of Old Bay

I’m the weird one here, I think, but I just cannot wrap my mind around the idea that someone would choose to eat crab legs for $20/lb instead of a nice ribeye or something for the same price. Seafood is confusing to me.

Wait, don’t you live in Maryland? That’s deeply heretical.

2 Likes

I am generally sympathetic to this, but

This was the best dish in a meal that included wagyu beef. Crab can be really delicious, even if it has a more subtle flavor than beef.

1 Like

Salmon Chowda

9 Likes

I bought 3 pounds of crab legs from Whole Foods. I assume I just throw them in the freezer until Christmas?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Making rib roast for the first time on Christmas.

Planning on following this.

4 Likes

Have made a Prime Rib using the Alton Brown method (Serious Eats uses the same method). It’s foolproof and delicious.

4 Likes