Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Not enough content for a dedicated steak thread.

I have a nicely marbled NY strip lined up for tomorrow’s dinner. I’ll try to remember to get pics.

3 Likes

I tried the vegan leek and potato latke recipe that was in Bon Appetit last month. They tasted quite good but I messed up somewhere, either making the mixture too smooth or the latkes too big (probably both), as they fell apart some and the middles didn’t always cook through.

Don’t you have to eat then right away for them to be good?

Surprised they would reheat well?

So you’re absolutely right that the best latkes are fresh and hot from the oil - but, it got to be too much to try to do 200 latkes during my party. I’d end up cooking the entire night and never get a chance to socialize. Plus I also smoke a pastrami and we make Ruben’s so there isn’t much space left to make latkes during the party.

I’ve found that reheating in an airfryer is the best method, followed by baking in the oven. It isn’t as good, but it’s still good.

1 Like

Haven’t tried them, but will at some point. I was thinking about changing it up while I was doing this year’s batch.

Man, I haven’t had a pastrami on rye for what feels like a few years now. It was last spring. Next grocery delivery. I’d like to try curing it like whatever the meat god is at 2p2 that starts with a B and ages his stuff.

I don’t think I’ve every tried a real traditional latke before. What condiments, if any, are generally recommended?

I, too, will be frying cakes in my cast iron tonight, but much less kosher ones.

4 Likes

It was apple sauce or sour cream at the one Chanukkah party I’ve attended, but there may be more.

1 Like

I’ve always just put my steaks in here. I’m not sure there’s quite enough passion or production for a whole separate thread.

Honestly, I’d be awfully tempted to make up a Reuben between two latkes and go to town.

2 Likes

They are so good and really easy! Highly recommend.

So, latkes are originally a Jewish thing? My family made them as German or Norwegian food I think with lefse. They were great. I’m over lefse though.

Apple sauce or sour cream

I’ll post the brine recipe I use to make it.

You have a smoker?

1 Like

A Weber bullet.

So this will get you there:

Takes about 5 or 6 days to brine, but sometimes I"ll speed it along and inject the brine into the brisket.

I buy a full packer and cut off the flat for the pastrami (and cut it in half so it fits in my brining vessels), and then sometimes I brine the point too or sometimes I just do burnt ends with them.

2 Likes

Think I remember you or someone posting that over there actually. Thx!

I don’t know about the applesauce, that seems weird.

Sour cream seems pretty good though.

I’ve never had apple sauce. It’s sour cream. I know latkes used to be sweet based on the holiday songs, but it’s not a thing anymore in Israel at least.

But Sufganyot, aka Jewish Donuts, are the hannukah food. Bakeries go stupidly overboard with them too.

Overboard example —

2 Likes