College players getting PAID

Sincerely doubt it, but it’s possible I suppose.

A source on what exactly? Major schools easily eclipse 100m per year in revenue, and without that revenue they aren’t paying non-revenue coaches mid six figures. There’s not a way to really cite that other than pointing to the ginormous surpluses that come from basketball and football at major schools.

How much do the donors cover in football?

Not sure, but it’s not going to be much. Many schools make ‘donations’ part of a requirement to get tickets, but that’s not really a donation. The main driver, by far, of income increases is TV money.

I’m 5 minutes in and oh boy.

Am I really supposed to believe a D1 scholly player doesn’t have access to food?

You are not qualified to speak on that point. In the SEC donor money is a huge part of hiring and firing coaches.

Do you honestly think universities could take the PR hit of 20 million dollar buyouts?

Some meals are part of scholarships, but many meals aren’t.

GMAFB. Donor and alumni pressure being real doesn’t mean that donations are the main funding of athletic departments. That’s nonsense.

I didn’t say departments. Sigh.

A college athletic department is not a typical business. Profitability is not a real goal. They spend what they have.

1 Like

i never claimed that. I said that the argument you posed, that universities will make less money now because people feel the ‘magic is gone’ is a non argument.

And i still don’t understand what your argument is. You think it’s wrong to allow kids to benefit from their NIL? I honestly don’t understand, not trying to misrepresent your position. I simply don’t understand it.

A lot of schools probably benefit more from sports driving donations to the university proper then they are expending.

Fuck, imagine being on the side of colleges on this issue.

When you’re on the side of academic institutions making billions of dollars off of the backs of unpaid students, most of whom never make it and get nothing out of their time in school because the school cares more about their athletic performance generating revenue and less about their personal and educational growth you really need to reevaluate your morals.

3 Likes

Yeah and I agree with what you said about fairness.

However unfair some of this there’s someone who will sign up if you don’t. That’s reality.

I think we could see a shift to more individual sports over team sports.

The biggest winner on paper right off the bat is a gymnast with an insane social media following.

Did I read this incorrectly?

A lot of times athletes come from poor backgrounds and because they’re not allowed to make money or profit off their likeness they’re - gasp - still poor during college, all while generating millions of dollars for their program and university. Also they are punished for taking small amounts of money in compensation since it’s against the rules.

I don’t pay a lot of attention to this stuff but it’s fairly easy to grasp that it was an exploitative system and the main reason people defend it is because they are worried they are going to somehow lose the entertainment value they get from college sports while not really giving a rat’s ass about the people who actually generate the product. That was literally the NCAA’s defense in court!

Please quote where I “took the side of colleges.”

As long as your argument remains institution will make less money off players, that is not a compelling argument. Same goes for TV networks or whoever you say is making money off it.

If it’s millions or billions doesn’t really matter.

I feel like you haven’t written your own opinion yet and are making kinda vague statement. If you write down what you think on the subject in a clear way it will make for an easier discussion where you won’t be misrepresented.

Never said you were. You’ve been mostly JAQing off this whole time rather than making anything clear.

Though your response to a statement not directed at you tells me that you’re more in line with them than I thought.

Kindly point me to all the paths that one can take that aren’t exploitative?

We can make sure that the people who generate the value are compensated? What are you even asking?