College players getting PAID

They literally do that now, and money is already out there. Paying players literally goes back to the 1890s.

It’s important to note that it’s not only good players getting endorsement deals. People with big social media followings are making deals too. Michigan’s biggest influencer is a guy who basically never plays, but he’s got 1.6 million follows on TikTok.

Of course, it could play out differently. It isn’t cut and dry and throwing out the race cards isn’t any more original or thought provoking than the inevitable deplorable comments found in message boards.

It is cut and dry though. NCAA sports will continue on despite this. If it was somehow required for all of the money in NCAA sports to go only to administrators and coaches, then it deserves to die in hell fire.

I really am trying but i don’t understand a single argument here.
The argument that universities won’t make billions off these players now isn’t a compelling one

The universities don’t make billions now. That has never been the argument.

I’m done now. We can agree to disagree.

me neither. like:

1. Players start getting paid
  2. ???
  3. ???
  4. College sports are now dead.

What are 2 and 3 exactly? I still have yet to see anybody lay out the progression of how we get to 4. College sports dying. The argument that only big schools will get marquee players is not a good one because it’s always been that way.

some lower sports will get cut when inevitably they pull university deals and just pay specific guys instead but it was stupid ridiculous they couldn’t even sign autographs

also should be more point shaving scandals yay at that

I think some people fear that paying players (and possibly allowIng them to be non-students) will take away the magic of the student-athlete fantasy and lead people to start viewing college football and basketball as just university-branded minor league teams.

I think players should be able to be paid and IDGAF what happens to D1 sports.

2 Likes

Team sports aren’t egalitarian, even at the amateur level. Some players get more of the accolades and the blame.

Money would just be another metric and something else to deal with. I am okay with 18 year olds learning life is not always fair. It’s just another obstacle in a team sport that rewards those who navigate it better.

I don’t see how it negatively impacts the product in total, though.

I’d like to see more athletes tell colleges to go fuck themselves and skip it entirely if possible. Basketball players can sign contracts overseas. Baseball and hockey players go to the minors. All they’re getting for an education is paper classes to keep their GPA high enough to stay on the team.

I took a class with Levi Brown, an OT that was drafted top 10 and I saw him once in class. Must have been gifted a high grade.

why would smaller sports get cut? You don’t seem to realize that college players are getting NIL rights and decidedly do not get paid directly by the schools.

Ok a few posts itt have made me think some normies don’t know what’s going on.

The NCAA was forced to allow players to have Name, Image, and Likeness rights by various state governments. Because of those NIL laws, the previous practice of the NCAA banning players from profiting off of their NIL was dropped.

This doesn’t mean that players are non-students or that they can be paid directly by the school. What it does mean is that various players can sell ads on their tiktoks, get sponsorships, etc without repercussion… just like any other student is able to.

5 Likes

Way smarter. I don’t get how playing an amateur sport with very different rules is the best preparation for a professional league. Developmental leagues are certainly way better.

1 Like

College athletes generating millions for their universities while not being able to make any money off their likeness has always been complete exploitative bullshit. Glad that injustice is at least being partially rectified. Personally could not care less if college sports went under due to this but I don’t see how it really changes anything other than making better lives for the athletes themselves.

5 Likes

Nobody itt claimed #4.

The argument (used by others itt) that the marquee players we’re already being paid negates the entire argument that they weren’t to begin with.

Of course, I consider a scholarship and the benefits that scholly players already receive to be payment. It’s clearly not enough but let’s use honest facts here.

Yuvs claim that the universities make “billions” has never been true. The real winners are the tv networks and this will help with that disparity.

The top coaches make bank but they do a shit ton of work and the winners always pay for themselves. I will admit the dead money is an issue and is ridiculous.

If you don’t think the convergence of the new transfer rules, the legalization of sports betting, and a citizens United like opening of $ pouring in couldn’t have any negative affects on team sports than we can just agree to disagree.

I’m probably being a tad selfish in that I enjoy college football and basketball even though in the near future this will benefit my team. (Arkansas).

Arkansas is one of 6 states that had already passed their own NIL legislation. Walmart money and a basketball coach (Musselman) who is already a wizard at recruiting transfers bodes well for hog fans.

Mens final got 17.9 million viewers on TV, and when you’re a BMOC you are an instant local celebrity. The elite can, and do, leverage that into more money later on and even become national celebrities. It’s not hard to see why people choose the NCAA.

My problem with this take is it only reflects a small, overstated part of the issue but does play well in the media.

Athletic departments barely break even and the popular men’s sports fund a lot of scholarships for women due to title IV.

Nobody is arguing that though.

How many people are tuning in to watch the G league?

This is not true. ADs spend money to appear as if they break even to keep up the sham that is amateurism. ADs don’t have to spend 350k per year for a lacrosse coach, but they do because they can.

1 Like

I’m not gonna argue this point but I would love to see a good source.

Donor money is a huge factor in this. It’s easy to write a juicy article on coach salaries but donors are footing the bill on most of the ones that are noteworthy.

Those big deals for sports apparel companies to endorse the entire college will go down in value. Athletic budget lower = something gets cut = the lower sports get cut

More of this applies to lower schools than the bigger ones as usual.