Climate Change and the Environment

Amazingly, the (recently departed North Carolina) houses were occupied and bought recently, it seems. At least this one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/05/13/climate-change-north-carolina-house/

After the season’s last renters departed, he and his relatives had planned to host a Thanksgiving gathering in the home. Patricelli never spent a night there.

A November storm affected the septic system, he said, and county officials soon deemed the house unfit to occupy. On Tuesday, less than 300 days after he bought it, the house became one of two along Ocean Drive to collapse into the sea after days of battering from an unnamed coastal storm.

“I was so looking forward to having a place where I could entertain and be back to normal,” Patricelli, a 57-year-old real estate agent in California who grew up on the East Coast, said in an interview.

“I didn’t realize how vulnerable it was,” he added.

I was thinking on this recently, wondering if it’s the only possible combination of events that could have occurred. I’m sure we (meaning humanity) would have done more to combat climate change if it was actually going to impact the people most responsible for it, but as long as those people were safe from the consequences there was no chance for us to stop it. That just leaves the same folks who were least responsible–those with the fewest resources–as the collection of people most likely to feel the impacts.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/blackouts-possible-this-summer-due-to-heat-and-extreme-weather-officials-warn/ar-AAXukcw

Yeah the western half of the country electricity supplies are tight but in one region, MISO, they don’t have sufficient resources to meet expected normal demand. All the other areas at least in theory have generation for anticipated demand.

Is that this?

I’d have expected the at risk areas to be in the southwest that get electricity from dams on the Colorado river.

I think that’s Saskatchewan up top which is a different grid operator. The nerc map is a bit different.

The metric often used is operating reserve margin. But it basically assumes normal conditions and increasingly conditions have not aligned w historical norms. So when Texas says they have sufficient resources and a healthy double digit reserve margin, what does that mean? That’s also the situation in CA and the southwest. They might be ok but extreme weather could mean they’re not ok.

In miso though they’re 5 gw short to meet projected peaks.

1 Like

Manitoba, not Saskatchewan.

1 Like

Manitoba is the capital of Saskatchewan, I think.

2 Likes

LOL They have a state named Sasquatchian?

Must be lotta trees there.

Not really, it’s mostly one big open field.

Reserve margin typically is against forecast, not historical. Although of course historical data forms part of the forecasting process.

Yeah I didn’t mean to imply otherwise. Just that the past no longer appears to indicate tje future. Models don’t work anymore and so resource auctions don’t either. Or something like that. I’m drinking.

it’s not a state, but a probince of mind

“What if we did North Dakota, but bigger and EVEN MORE NORTH?”

Clearly Saskatchewan’s power will be the first to go in an emergency. Smart grid design.

I was going to post a different map and report, but NERC’s web site is apparently down for 24 hours and that seems fitting.

The Guardian article this comes from about climate doomerism is kinda meh, but this quote. Yeah.

“People are still going to college, planning for retirement, doing all the things as if the future will look just like the past when we know that’s not true. There’s a delusion of normalcy.”

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/noaa-predicts-above-normal-2022-atlantic-hurricane-season

Forecasters at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, are predicting above-average hurricane activity this year — which would make it the seventh consecutive above-average hurricane season. NOAA’s outlook for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30, predicts a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

For the 2022 hurricane season, NOAA is forecasting a likely range of 14 to 21 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence.

Welcome to Climate Wobegon where all of the hurricanes are above average.

6 Likes

https://archive.ph/FAM7S

Kelp Is Weirdly Great at Sucking Carbon Out of the Sky

The start-up Running Tide wants to use kelp buoys to fight climate change. The plan might not work, but it’s still a preview of our climate future.

By Robinson Meyer

more floating kelp please