Climate Change and the Environment

The average high in Jacobabad in May is 112. So this isn’t quite as crazy as it looks. It got up to 126.5 in May of 2010.

I hear the North Carolina coast is beautiful.

Houses just float right up to you, it’s magical!

4 Likes

It’s a cruel irony that climate change is going hit hardest in places of the world that have the fewest resources to deal with it.

gjge humanity

The bee had become something unusual, a sort of rare trophy like an endangered rhino. This sometimes happens with insects: In Germany, a rare beetle named after Adolf Hitler was considered at risk of extinction more than a decade ago due to its soaring popularity as a collector’s item for neo-Nazis.

1 Like

For those curious

Not as much as you think.

Global warming is mostly going to be a poor people problem. Wealthier people can relocate or pay for things that will allow them to tolerate the conditions with relative ease.

Poor people will die. Lots of them.

However, the collective global freakout is generally small for things that affect poor people. I don’t think this will be much different.

You don’t think it’s going to significantly affect the American middle class?

Define “middle class”

There isn’t going to be anywhere to relocate to that isn’t going to start feeling real effects. It’s not just hotter hot places and rising seas. Weather is getting more extreme in every way, everywhere. Most people right now don’t really know or care what’s coming, but soon enough it’s not going to be possible to ignore how 100 year weather events have become every other year weather events. How everything is always on fire or flooding. How storms and heat waves and droughts keep getting worse, and more frequent. How the world is getting more unstable. How much more everything costs because of all the disruption.

I don’t think it’s going to be possible to normalize all that.

Let me put it this way. I basically think everyone who can’t afford to pick up and move, buy a new house in cash, and spend the money on climate proofing, is in serious danger.

So that could vary based on net worth and income flexibility, but I think something like 90% of Americans are at pretty significant risk at some point in the not too distant future.

I think it’s going to become very hard to get affordable homeowners insurance which makes home ownership far more complicated.

And ZikZak’s post is why.

I live in suburban Philly and within 10 miles of me, dozens of homes have been lost to tornadoes and flooding in the last year across probably 4-6 incidents.

Even the places that aren’t affected as much directly by climate change are going to feel the repercussions when everyone tries to relocate there.

You’re not going to just pack up and move away from a global crisis. It’s like trying to run away to escape COVID.

The what now?

2 Likes

No but there will be areas that fare way better and remain way safer than others. Money can also buy you climate-proofing.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but pretty much everywhere in the US is fucked when it comes to extreme weather going forward. The plains will have more frequent and extreme tornadoes and ice storms. The SE will have longer, stronger, and more frequent hurricanes that move further inland and incrrase flooding problems. The NE will start getting more hurricanes more often and devastating winter storms coupled with more and more days of 100+ heat and 100% humidity. The West and Southwest will suffer from extreme drought, massive and more frequent wildfires that will ignore standrd wildfire seasons, and heat waves that disrupt the power grid more often. Really, the only places that arent having extreme weather issues is the PNW and even that is starting to turn. They had more 90+ degree days last year than any point in recorded history and wildfires are hitting Portland/Seattle/Vancouver more often.

We are fucked everywhere. Will rich people be able to weather things better than poor people? Of course, but its coming for them too. The Dana Point area has been on fire for like 4 days and decimated multi-million dollar homes.

And everyone is going to try to move there, overloading the grid and making that place just as inhabitable

Home prices will skyrocket and it’ll become hard to move there. Being able to afford to comfortably go off grid as far as some utilities are concerned is going to be important, though, imo. I agree it’s going to be an issue. I just think if you have, I don’t know, at least $1M to $5M to throw at the situation, you’ll be able to avoid most of the discomfort/risk.

That number is going to keep going up the closer we get, though. If I were wealthy enough, I’d already own a property in at least one if not two or three regions that were likely to fare better. (Sadly I’m miles and miles away from being able to see wealthy enough.)

I saw a really cool one in Vermont on Zillow several months ago, it checked almost all of the boxes.

Appalachia could end up being the most desirable place to live in the US.

My girlfriend has 100 acres in Appalachia with spring water and a significant garden on the property. As long as it doesn’t get eminently domained to serve as an emergency refuge for whatever dictator rules over us in 20 years we’re good.

1 Like