Climate Change and the Environment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/news/weather-news/article265412691.html

All time records dropping like flies.

And again, its September.

Looks like the entire central valley might break 110 today.

https://twitter.com/dgelles/status/1570135913535262720?s=20&t=uHP7gZI_FW2Kf5BwC0eyKA

3 Likes

It’s ironic that Patagonia and North Face, both companies founded by environmentalists, are symbols of complete elitism (at least in Australia you basically wear the brands to show you’re rich).

Do they make stuff for warmer climates (besides the Baggies that I just learned about)? I associate them with skiwear mostly.

Wat. Citation needed. They both make good outdoor gear, which tends to cost money. North Face I guess do have a bit of a chic image, but like I have North Face hiking pants, here is my super sick advertisement of wealth:

in the US patagonia is definitely seen as a librul brand. the deplorable equivalent is Columbia (the PFG sub-brand specifically)

Well, that’s the point. Patagonia is expensive so it’s basically a luxury item. I wouldn’t necessarily say that people wear them just to show that they are rich. I have a Patagonia parka because my house is under 3 feet of snow for 5 months of the year and I want a nice jacket.

silicon valley techbros love patagucci, I have company branded jackets from my last two gigs though my current one (based in southern cali) gave us north face jackets.

Basically everyone I went to Law School at Monash (insipid elitist joke of a community) with, or people who I see when I guest pass into MCC wear it (dees finals last two weeks). Among the youth (30 and under) of today it’s virtually all those brands. Gorpcore (good ole raisins and peanuts - wearing hiking gear at bars, nightclubs, casual Friday’s at work etc) is a huge thing among rich young assholes/professionals. Not saying they’re bad brands just that if I see someone (at least someone around my age) wearing them I sort of dislike them haha.

I’m genuinely surprised you haven’t noticed it, maybe a Victorian thing. I’d hazard a guess 90% of people I asked would describe them as fairly snobby/yuppy brands (especially North face) among Australians. Also I’m not talking about pants but windbreakers etc. The top equivalent of RM Williams (well maybe that’s Ralph Lauren or Gant or something).

I feel like the better equivalent in the US is Arcteryx, their softshell was $700 when I stopped in their downtown Chicago location, wtf.

It’s probably a lol me, I have no idea what people under 30 are wearing.

Patagonia is absolutely an upper crust librul fashion statement in the northeast US.

Patagonia is interesting because while this is true they also make incredible products with elite customer service. They will pretty much replace anything you own from them if ask.

3 Likes

We call it PataGucci.

LL Bean used to have this level of service and product quality, I am guessing they got bought by private equity at some point because it’s shit now

anyway, the real story here is that patagonia has global brand awareness, devoted customers who are reliable repeat buyers, and a product that probably has really high margins, and it’s only worth $3B, meanwhile there are 9000 companies based in SF that make an app that literally lights money on fire, has zero users, and is worth $10B

4 Likes

Yeah but think about future growth and self driving cars!!!

TIl mosdef wears his patagnoia parka in the house

I wear it everywhere so everyone knows I’m rich. Even in August I wear my Patagonia parka to the beach.

2 Likes