ChrisV's Walrus - Reveal Thread

Uh oh

1 Like

A rapid fall from grace for last roundā€™s winner.

In 15th place, scoring 1 point, hokie with Crimson Sky by Brian Crain

Thereā€™s quite a number of these sort of abstract instrumentals in this category and there are several of them which do nothing for me. Deciding how to order these is challenging. None of them are unpleasant to listen to or anything, because itā€™s impossible to make a guy playing piano unpleasant to listen to. In the end I felt like this had the least chance of my opinion improving if I continued to listen to it. I think itā€™s dull rather than pretty, and doesnā€™t have a lot to say musically. That left hand arpeggio wears out its welcome with me after a minute or so.

If youā€™re listening along and thinking ā€œwow harsh last place, this song seems fineā€ then strap yourself in for a whole category of the same. Itā€™s all difficult to differentiate and Iā€™m frequently going to penalise things just for being boring. Thatā€™s whatā€™s happening here.

1 Like

Hmmmmmm.

I honestly donā€™t know if youā€™re going to consider my song boring or not, but at least it has lyrics.

Oh I almost forgot againā€¦

What would I have submitted?

Well, as promised, after suzzer described Shearwater as Christian Rock, Iā€™m going with them again. The song is The World in 1984.

Very pretty main piano riff and I love the lyrics as well, while listening to it Iā€™ve sometimes thought about For sale: baby shoes, never worn which is often called the shortest story ever written. This song opens:

ā€œWhen our column advanced, and we saw what weā€™d done, we were sure that we could never tell the folks back homeā€ said my father to me, I had just turned 16, and we were walking from my school to his apartment alone.

Paints a vivid picture for me of the circumstances and relationship this guy has with his dad. I feel like Iā€™ve read the first chapter of a book.

Man, I have really enjoyed this little piece of procrastination. I guess I have to continue the reveal, though.

3 Likes

Also a rapid fall from grace for last roundā€™s third place.

In 14th place, scoring 2 points, Lawnmower_Man with Song for Lynette by Eric Johnson

Itā€™s going to look for a while like Iā€™m piling all the instrumentals at the bottom, but Iā€™m not; there are just quite a lot of them. Hereā€™s the problem with this sort of thing: the line between finding it entrancing and finding it bland is a sharp one, thereā€™s not a whole lot of middle ground. With other songs I can be like, well, I didnā€™t love the song, but I like the lyrics, or I like this little bit of it, or I like that itā€™s inventive, or whatever. Here I am just asked to find the piece captivating in its entirety, or thereā€™s nothing left to hold on to and Iā€™m just bored listening to it.

must say, loving this thread even on a day of indifference for OP. learned about flash fiction and really dug the last 2 songsā€¦

1 Like

Here we go again.

In 13th place, scoring 3 points, pyatnitski with Dulcimers Played By Peter Neff. Strings Played by Labradford

Less New-Agey and a bit more interesting than the previous two, I can see what theyā€™re going for musically, but the brute fact of the matter is Iā€™m still just bored.

The great thing about revealing songs is that if I keep doing it, eventually we will reach the end of the category. This is a joyful prospect.

1 Like

that wiki on the baby shoes is poignant stuff. Im a bit torn up over it, set against these crazy times. Texted my Mom to see if sheā€™s available for an hour of yardwork Saturday :heart::pray:

Youā€™re putting your mom to work? For shame

1 Like

Letā€™s just complete the set of last roundā€™s podium.

In 12th place, scoring 4 points, Louis Cyphre with While Your Lips Are Still Red by Nightwish

Again, the word in this category is not hate, but indifference. Pleasant enough ballad, but I generally find this genre overwrought and this is no exception. Itā€™s a bit by-the-numbers.

Uh oh, that might not bode well for me.

I think Johnny might have been on to something here.

1 Like

I tried to think of a good Dylan song for the first category and overlooked masters of War. I might have gone with that if I had thought of it.

In 11th place, scoring 5 points, jalfrezi with Oh! You Pretty Things by David Bowie

This is ā€œItā€™s Not You, Itā€™s Me, Part 1ā€. Nothing wrong with this song at all, I just personally donā€™t enjoy listening to it. Fully embracing the subjective is the only way weā€™re going to get through this category.

Also, this is required watching if you havenā€™t seen it before. Now thereā€™s a Bowie piano song.

shouldā€™ve gone with Lady Grinning Soul

I wonder how many songs even exist that ā€œfeatureā€ the piano that arenā€™t new age, classical, or jazz. I mean George Winston probably accounts for 50% of the category in the aggregate.

Itā€™s Not You, Itā€™s Me Part 2

In 10th place, scoring 6 points, microbet with Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin

I know this is supposed to be an American classic, best American composer ever, brilliantly combining elements of classical, jazz and ragtime, etc etc. I donā€™t get it. To me it sounds like a bunch of ideas thrown in a blender. Itā€™s a long and varied piece and there are plenty of bits where Iā€™m like ā€œoh, that was really niceā€ but equally as many points where Iā€™m like ā€œwow, that flourish was really obnoxiousā€. Also, itā€™s a very well known piece and if you submit a 16 and a half minute long piece (or, spoiler alert, A 26 MINUTE LONG PIECE), youā€™d better be sure Iā€™m going to love it.

1 Like

This may have been a wording problem. It didnā€™t have to be completely centered around the piano, the Shearwater song I posted is an example. The piano is important there and you couldnā€™t really just replace it with something else, but itā€™s just one element of the song.

We really shouldnā€™t have pressured him to include this stupid category. What were we all thinking?