@Jalfrezi
@JohnnyTruant
@Lawnmower_Man
@LouisCyphre
@CanadaMatt3004
@microbet
@NotBruceZ
@Pauwl

I can only mention 10 users in a post for some reason. Onwards to post 2!

GLORIOUS ENTRANTS LIST CONTINUES

@pyatnitski
@skydiver8
@suzzer99
@Twist
@WesleyC

Category 1 reveal commences NOW!

ZOMG

3 Likes

CATEGORY 1: A song with a political element, as subtle or tangential as you like. I would actually prefer the politics was subtle, but I wonā€™t punish overt protest songs.

This was a pretty strong category overall, I liked the majority of songs. Some headaches up near the top, more of which later.

One player submitted an Australian song. A bold strategy Cotton, weā€™ll see how it works out for you.

2 Likes

This is already fun and it hasnā€™t started yet

2 Likes

Well, it happens every walrus. One player carefully assembles a list of music they enjoy. They submit it to the walrus with hope in their hearts. And right out of the gate, their first entrant gets tossed in the bin.

It is about to happen to pyatnitski.

In 15th place, scoring 1 point, pyatnitski with Stand Up For Judas by Leon Rosselson

I appreciate the sentiment, but as a piece of music I found this a bit of a chore to listen to. The instrument playing is kind of stilted and the singer (who Iā€™m not sure is actually Rosselson?) has a bit of a rough voice. Itā€™s also seven goddamn minutes long and wore out its welcome with me pretty thoroughly.

I didnā€™t really hate it or anything, which is reflective of the strength of the category.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LbweYADTMmuhajYF6

God damn it lol.

a) my post was late

b) Iā€™m an old so i donā€™t know how to embed a gif

1 Like

Iā€™m glad youā€™re having fun. Iā€™m afraid itā€™s about to become significantly less fun for you

In 14th place, scoring 2 points, Goebs80 with Wounded Egos by Gaz Coombes.

Just didnā€™t get this at all. It was definitely a song of some sort. I donā€™t hate it or anything, but thatā€™s as far as it goes. Found it a bit bland and directionless, didnā€™t do a lot for me.

Well shite, nm

Nah, not less fun at all! I enjoy making people listen to stuff I like lol

1 Like

I am 2:24 through the song and thinking is this still going on? Then I noticed itā€˜s more than 7 minutes long. :roll_eyes:

Philistine!

(Roy Bailey singing it, I think)

((It is too long, Iā€™ll admit that))

In 13th place, scoring 3 points, suzzer99 with Here We Go by Stakka Bo

Suzzer provided me with a Vimeo link for this because he didnā€™t know what his own song was called (he named it ā€œTemple of Consumptionā€). Olds, huh? :stuck_out_tongue:

This is I guess a pop song in a broad sense. Obviously pop is very subjective and this wasnā€™t doing it for me. The production sounds pretty dated and not in a charming way, just in a dated way. Also, there were very simple rules about doing white rap in the early 90s. If your name is not the Beastie Boys, donā€™t do it.

1 Like

Thanks Johnny. Er, while youā€™re hereā€¦

In 12th place, scoring 4 points, JohnnyTruant with Headaches & Woes by Aceyalone

In a way I feel bad that this is this low down, I can see what you like about it. I just donā€™t like this guyā€™s rapping. Whenever I would put this on I would quickly become disengaged, just not feeling the flow at all. So, here we are.

1 Like

In 11th place, scoring 5 points, NotBruceZ with James K. Polk by They Might Be Giants

Not a fan of They Might Be Giants or of sort of ā€œjokeyā€ bands in general. This is a great category fit though and was a fun listen from that point of view. I like the concept more than the execution. The song itself is well-constructed but never adds up to something I want to hear again.

1 Like

This is definitely going to be a handicap for me in judging this competition, but we will press on.

6 Likes

I am already way more invested in this reveal than I thought I would be. :popcorn:

3 Likes

That concludes the songs I didnā€™t like. Itā€™s all stuff I enjoyed from here on out.

In 10th place, scoring 6 points, microbet with Southern Man by Neil Young

I had fun digging into the history of this. I never realised that Sweet Home Alabama was in part responding to this song, because I never knew what the words were to this verse:

Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard old Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A southern man donā€™t need him around anyhow

This seems to be one of those things where itā€™s like ā€œleave the shit-talking to people who are from hereā€ since Sweet Home Alabama isnā€™t really pro-South, Lynyrd Skynyrd were anti-Wallace:

In Birmingham they love the Govā€™nor, boo boo boo
Now we all did what we could do
Now Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you?
Tell the truth

I always thought the reference to Watergate was an attack on Republicanism/the right in general, but of course that makes no sense as George Wallace was a Democrat. Wikipedia suggests that itā€™s like ā€œwe donā€™t judge you in the North by your shitty political leaders, do us the same courtesyā€ which makes sense.

Back to Southern Man, though. Defend yourself, Neil. SMACK THEM DOWN!

ā€œIā€™d rather play ā€˜Sweet Home Alabamaā€™ than ā€˜Southern Manā€™ anytime.ā€

OH SHIT! HEā€¦ oh. OK.

Anyway. Solid classic rock song. Quite enjoyed it, thatā€™s as far as it went. I feel validated in that thatā€™s apparently as far as it went for Neil Young, as well.

2 Likes

In 9th place, scoring 7 points, skydiver8 with Red Hill Mining Town by U2

Iā€™m not the biggest U2 fan, and I felt like when it came time for the trademark BIG U2 CHORUS this one didnā€™t quite hit the mark for me. Finding things to say about the songs in the middle of reveals can be tough because generally the feeling is ā€œsolid but unremarkable songā€ and so it is here.

1 Like