ChrisV's Walrus - Reveal Thread

Goddamn, I am SOLIDLY in the 10th-8th place range

+1
Did you know that solo was only intended to be a placeholder for the final solo he hadnā€™t yet worked out, and which never materialised?

Interesting fact #2 about SIBLY: the infamous squeaky drum pedal they didnā€™t notice and have been unable to get rid of.

2 Likes

I feared for this song so happy with that. I realised that some of my great love for the track comes from the guy introducing it in a Swedish Chef style accent at the start, which may not translate. Itā€™s extra potato quality as for some reason this album has never been re-released, so the only sources are 48 year old vinyl rips. Very silly.

Do you know another electronic act that understands what hooks and song formats are? I have a fair amount of (older) electronic and it mostly sounds like kids playing with their first chemistry set to me.

1 Like

This is my personal favorite. I knew neither the song nor the band. I will have to check out more from them.
A pretty strong field overall therefore I am very happy to have finished first. I felt I had a strong category fit at least but as it comes down to the subjective taste of one person you never know where you end up.

The Prodigy?

I have some of their stuff, just couldnā€™t really get into it. I think electronic* music in general suffers from having relatively few song writers. Reminds me a lot of my pet genre (solo acoustic guitar) which has a lot of dudes doing two-handed tapping and percussion techniques that sound like practice exercises on infinite loop.

I was considering that and Brain Damage, but Pink Floyd (the best Pink Floyd anyway) doesnā€™t really come in ā€œsongsā€.

Fact #2 should be spoilered imo. Thatā€™s a bad thing to know about.

Well for stuff in the same sort of vein (ā€œmainstream electronicaā€ for want of a better name), Iā€™m going to assume youā€™re familiar with The Chemical Brothers? I think to some extent itā€™s a genre that is/was dominated by a few artists, a bit like thrash metal was and for the same reasons - if you donā€™t get it just right it can sound a bit naff.

Iā€™m cannabalising my own walrus submission material here, but thereā€™s Hybrid, starting with the absolute classic Finished Symphony (a modified version of Schubertā€™s Unfinished Symphony), which I won a walrus category with once. Other tracks I like from them include their remix of Jeff Wayne - Eve of the War, Beachcoma and If I Survive. Paul Oakenfold did some similar more mainstream stuff as well, for example Ready Steady Go.

Most of the other stuff Iā€™d recommend heads in the direction of other electronic genres, like house (Groove Armada - Final Shakedown) or trance (Chicane - Saltwater).

Yeah I have a lot of this stuff stashed away somewhere. Really do not like Chemical Bros much at all. I just kind of gave up on the genre after a while. My rant about it is mostly from a technical music theory standpoint so Iā€™ll leave it for another thread.

Ah speaking of Chicane, I thought his remix of this Sigur Ros song was pretty cool. Trance meets experimental rock.

No reveal today sorry, still need time.

Re: Camille - Ta douleur - Pretty big blunder by the ref. I rate this track @NotBruceZ

Yellow card. Dissent.

1 Like

Re: Poppiholla: Chicane and Sigur Ros are 2 of my absolute favourite artists and Iā€™d never heard this mix before so I went in expecting something awesome. Was very disappointed :(

Iā€™m definitely skewed because I love Takk and the original version of this song is crucial to the album. You canā€™t take away the words :(

Great category, best by far for me. 10+ good tracks including several iā€™m adding to my collection. @JohnnyTruant 's live Stevie song wouldā€™ve topped my podium.

@suzzer99: I think you just need to submit Trains again next Walrus. CVā€™s always been a bit slowā€¦

1 Like

Chrisā€™s got that thing where he only likes raspy guitar and scratchy vocals. A couple of my friends are afflicted with it.

Iā€™ll put a filter on to make Trains sound like it was done by the Black Keys and heā€™ll go apeshit for it.

1 Like

After a few scandalous results last round, @ChrisV has asked me to take-over updating the leader-board so he can maintain the illusion of impartiality.

Itā€™s actually all just a big conspiracy to manipulate the lucrative Walrus betting markets.

Spoilers if youā€™re not already ā€˜in on itā€™ā€¦ image|690x315

Iā€™ve got Hokie to win it by exactly 1 point

1 Like

Reveal today. Might be kind of late though.

BTW, Wes mentioned to me that he agrees that O-o-h Child has no mainstream popularity here, but he knew the song from a couple of covers. He then sent me this and claimed it was better than the original:

So remember, no matter how absurd my opinions get, things could be worse :)