ChrisV's Walrus - Reveal Thread

Walrus is serious business.

1 Like

Lol tbf Iā€™m not complaining. Just buzzed and killing time

Iā€™m planning to randomise the last couple categories before I look at them (which I havenā€™t yet really). I put them in a spreadsheet a while back and have largely forgotten who is who. Also Iā€™ll put up a running total of scoring after the category today, but Iā€™ll hopefully get a volunteer to maintain it after that and spoiler it when they post it. I donā€™t really want to know what the running totals are going into the last category.

While Iā€™m listening to things a couple more timesā€¦

CATEGORY 3: A song which has some association which is unique to you, which you often think about when you hear it. It can be a memory, something personal, or just some thought you have about it that you suspect others donā€™t.

I gather some people had trouble with this. I have a bunch of songs like this.

Generally likeable category, a bunch of pop songs ended up in the bottom half just because they were crowded out by things I needed to put higher. If you think this means you, it probably does. Really like all the top 4 submissions.

Some people submitted some great stories. I have decided to award a bonus point for the good ones, at my discretion. Whatā€™s that? It wasnā€™t in the rules? Look up top of the screen. Whose name is that in the thread title? Thatā€™s right. It is.

What would I have submitted?

The Cure - From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea

Reminds me of the first time I fell in love. I first heard the song with her. I knew on some level that the whole thing was doomed and thatā€™s what this song captures - the high and the hope of being with someone, and the inevitable disappointment and pain beneath the surface, all in the one song. I canā€™t hear it without thinking about that time in my life. Itā€™s also just a great song imo, still my favourite Cure song. Disintegration would be the only other contender. Itā€™s long but it holds tension in the song by withholding the first chorus until nearly 5 minutes into the 7:40 runtime.

I am not awarding myself a bonus point for that story.

Expecting my human bagpipe to be coming in the next few postsā€¦

OK, letā€™s get started. Iā€™m still flying by the seat of my pants a little but not too bad.

I certainly know whatā€™s coming last. I canā€™t imagine this is a shock to suzzer either.

In 15th place, scoring 1 point (+1 bonus points), suzzer99 with Iā€™d Rather Fuck You by N.W.A.

suzzer sent this amusing story:

Has the line ā€œI gotta hurry up and bust this nut cuz itā€™s check out time.ā€ Right after college I lived and worked in the USVI for a while. I waited on this hot 35-yard-old aerobics instructor who apparently was determined to make something happen while on the island, because she picked my shlubby ass. I was in her hotel room, at checkout time with the maid knocking on the door - trying to bust a nut - and couldnā€™t get this stupid song out of my head.

Good story, but youā€™re right. It is a stupid song. Also, hot take: NWAā€™s output is super overrated in general and none of them are talented rappers except Ice Cube.

Pretty sacrilegious to disparage Eazy E like that

Eazy-E can eat a big fat dick.

Umā€¦ yes.

In 14th place, scoring 2 points (+1 bonus point), Master3004 with White Men in Black Suits by Everclear

Master writes:

Everclear is one of the first bands I ever saw live. They were one of the openers at a music festival in Mountain View and the stands were essentially empty. Likely only about 100-200 people there, and I was one of the closest. This was my favorite song they played and I yelled out for them to play it and they did. At the end of the set I got a pick and their setlist, and lo and behold ā€œWhite Men in Black Suitsā€ was not on the setlist, meaning they played it based solely on my shouted request. Its one of my favorite concert memories by far.

That is a fun story, unfortunately Everclear have always rubbed me up the wrong way and I think theyā€™ve aged poorly. Some of the more generically 90s-sounding music out there. I havenā€™t heard this before, but it sounds the same as every other Everclear song ever released. Sorry.

1 Like

Yeah, when you said you had mostly pop music at the bottom, I figured I was in for a low score. Alas.

This should rustle some jimmies, surely.

In 13th place, scoring 3 points, WesleyC with Nomadic Revelry (All Around) by Bonnie ā€œPrinceā€ Billy

Wes writes:

Hated this song the first couple of times I heard it but then something just clicked.

Sounds like an ideal submission to a competition where I am only going to listen to it a few times.

I know this artist/album is pretty well regarded so maybe one day I will decide this is good, as that happens with annoying regularity with stuff Wes sends me. Maybe one day.

And, I hope not. I donā€™t want to become an apologist for this kind of dirgey bullshit. Sit up straight and sing properly.

2 Likes

I love that song so much. Itā€™s such a heartfelt soul ballad with ridiculous lyrics. The backup singers make the song. I thought it would be top 3 at least after you asked permission to use a story where I get laid lol.

N4L is an incredible album. Except for the misogyny which sucks and why I donā€™t really listen to it anymore. Every song you can tell theyā€™re just at full play musically and letting it all hang out.

Try ā€œI See a Darknessā€, that one should lift your spirits.

1 Like

I was close to submitting that for this category. Iā€™d say lucky escape, but who knows.

1 Like

Now for that aforementioned block of pop songs. Up firstā€¦

In 12th place, scoring 4 points, skydiver8 with Take On Me by A-Ha

Took one of those class trips to Europe the summer between my sophomore and Jr. years of HS. I had a huge crush on our young bus driver (I think he was Dutch), and he played this song a LOT on the road. So now whenever I hear it, I always think of that trip.

That bus driverā€™s name? Pete Buttigieg.

As with pop in general, itā€™s a fine line between catchy and annoying and this one falls a bit more on the annoying side of the spectrum for me. (Itā€™s a radio staple here, I assume it is in USA#1 as well).

4 Likes

Iā€™m kinda shocked because mine is what could legitimately be called the quintessential 80ā€™s alt-pop song. I seriously thought Iā€™d be dead last.

Yes, to the point of memes. I should have submitted the live version from a couple of years ago where the lead singer, whoā€™s in his 50s, can still hit every single noteā€¦

What a great crosspost

Really? I dunno man, even the soul stuff just sounded cheesy to me.

Lolā€™d

1 Like