ChrisV's Walrus - Reveal Thread

HAHA…Pete would have been 8 years old when I went on that trip.

I used to share a house with a guy who would do Take On Me at karaoke, he could sing the full range. I can’t hit that top note at all.

1 Like

What do you get when you ask a bunch of olds for songs with memories attached? Tears For Fears. Makes sense.

In 11th place, scoring 5 points, Goebs80 with Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears

Goebs80 writes:

It reminds me of being really young (maybe 8) in a car with my uncle and cousin (he was also about 7-8). My cousin would later pass away at 16. The song makes me nostalgic.

I know what you mean about flashing back to those moments in time. I have a couple songs that make me flash back to the first time I ever had serious anxiety, a problem that has plagued me at various times since. I was 14. The songs are, weirdly, Cyndi Lauper’s Time After Time and A Whole New World from Aladdin.

In 10th place, scoring 6 points, microbet with Shout by Tears For Fears

microbet writes:

I don’t even like this song

Wait, let me explain the rules again…

No, I get it, I know people had generally few contenders here. Advice: shoehorn harder. Time honoured walrus tradition.

but there aren’t many contenders which really fit this category for me. It was playing at grad night in HS and I went there with the first girl I was really in love with. It’s definitely bittersweet.

Classic stuff. So yeah, Tears For Fears. They’re OK. I like Shout a little bit more.

1 Like

haha I almost used a TFF song for this category, too, but Take On Me conjured a stronger memory. LOL I’m old

1 Like

Well now I fucking demand a special council, wait I mean blind walrus, wait I mean thanks for listening

I play by my own rules (and so far I think it’s gotten me 10th place every time).

1 Like

TFF has some all-time megahits of all time. Their top 4 are unimpeachable and could make a deep run in any limited roster playoff format.

2 Likes

Name them

I’m just a little young for TFF (turning 40 in January) and, well, you know how it is for that sort of thing when it’s not quite your era.

I’m 39 lol

Wait you are too

1 Like

Wait there’s an edit function

Ok I’m done

In 9th place, scoring 7 points, NotBruceZ with Jessie by Joshua Kadison

Wrapping up this little pop block, it did put a smile on my face to have this crop up. One of those pop ballads that has always had a touch of guilty pleasure to it, and that’s why I elevated it above the rest. Still not putting it higher than this because the cheesiness starts to grate after more than a listen or two, but there’s something kind of charming about it as well.

Are you asking what their top four hits are? Shout and Everybody Wants to Rule the World hit #1, Sowing the Seeds of Love was #2, and Head Over Heels topped out at #3.

Well I meant personally, but I am a fan of the old school rankings too so thanks.

Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Shout, Head Over Heels, Mad World

I didn’t include a story, but I feel like it’s obvious the personal meaning involves a girl in my past.

I went with a song that meant a lot to me, ranking be damned, for this category and expected it to be closer to the bottom.

I’m not terribly different. Head Over Heels, Shout, Mad World, Everybody

I wasn’t really putting them in order. I have them all pretty equal and would probably change my mind every day. I just don’t feel like Sowing the Seeds of Love or any of the others make the cut.

1 Like