Boomers, Generational Wealth, and Inequality

I mean, he’s just throwing shit at his forum enemies to cast them as hypocrites using whatever he thinks is ammunition. It’s not like it was a well reasoned point. It’s just shit to fling.

1 Like

Lol gtf outta here with comparing me to your typical deplorable boomer for buying a house for my family and saving for retirement.

1 Like

Generalizing people based on anything, including age, is bad, imo.

6 Likes

The booming phenomenon of absentee landlords is more about Reits and wall street than boomers owning a lot of houses.

1 Like

US Senators:

Silent generation: 23
Boomers: 63
Gen X: 14
Millenials: 0

Reps:

Silent: 27
Boomers: 232
Gen X: 145
Millenials: 31

2 Likes

But if you ask who owns most of that, the answer is boomers.

1 Like

Jman is right. The generalizations about generations are maybe okay for memes and jokes but taking them seriously is stupid. People will usually have more money as they get older.

And it was the generation before Boomers that did the things that are leading us down this path. Reagan was not a boomer. Nixon was not a boomer. Alan Greenspan was not a boomer. Milton Friedman was not a boomer. It was people who were 60 years old in 1970 who decided they wanted Wall Street instead of Unions.

8 Likes

But why are politics still distributed like that in America. Boomers are no longer a majority so if the generations after them really cared they could just vote them out. I think one of the biggest reason for boomers still having so much power allowing them to keep everything for themselves is gen x lack of interest in politics.

Because the age groups are not monolithic and people don’t based on generation status. Which again, is why generalizing based upon how old someone is doesn’t work.

I guess “Biden isn’t a boomer” isn’t really a selling point, then.

Yah I figured we were talking about your garden variety deplorable boomer, and not the nifty exceptional ones.

Where are people supposedly spending thousands on dinner? Is that per person or for like a four top?

I agree that dividing the groups in Boomers and Millenials is not right but I do think part of our problem is that people my age were a lot less interested in running for any office than the generation before me causing the distribution of people in office to skew older and older and that last part is an issue.

I think “thousands” in this case may be defined as greater than literally 1000. So $1001 is 1.001 thousandS.

Also it’s for more than one person and includes booze.

2 Likes

Lol there is no evidence to support the idea that the median millennial will ever have money.

You think that’s because of boomers? You think that trend is going to change in 10 years when boomers are dying? In 40 years when millennial are old?

The boomers are not taking their money with them.

They aren’t going to be leaving it behind either thanks to the elder care industry they built.

How old are the owners of the elder care industry? Someone is going to have the money.