Boomers, Generational Wealth, and Inequality

You edited out the crucial part of my post to remove the parallel I drew between behaviours here and of boomers, which was the whole point - and you tacitly agreed with it when you talked about “some of the same people would have been responsible for the colonization of Africa in the late 1800s through World War II”.

Although you might like to think of yourselves as morally superior your (and every) generation are absolutely no better as people than boomers were, and being much more informed have even less of an excuse to behave every bit as selfishly as them.

1 Like

Absurd. No one is bashing boomers for buying houses and having retirement plans. We’re bashing them for taking those things for themselves and denying the spoils for everyone who’s come after them. The boomers had pensions for their retirements. Now that they’re in charge, those are gone and we’re left with 401ks at best. Boomers had affordable housing, but now they vote for eternally appreciating housing as an investment rather than continuing to build the affordable housing they bought into. Boomers had cheap college, but they voted to gut the government subsidies that made it possible.

Trying to find a bit of comfort and security in the midst of a crazy world is not at all equivalent to using the force of government to hoard all the prosperity for oneself, and it’s certainly not morally equivalent of profiting off of colonialism. In order to be making a remotely coherent argument along those lines, you pretty much have to be arguing for aceticism and that there is no morally acceptable consumption at all.

8 Likes

And how do you think subsequent generations feel about yours for the extraordinary boom in house prices, caused mainly by your generation buying property not only to live in but also as investments, that’s made house ownership impossible for many of them?

What is my culpability in that? Be specific. And, uh, just what percentage of the investment property market do you think is owned by gen X or millenials?

1 Like

It should be quite clear that we are discussing generations, not individuals. If you want to make me personalise this you’ll have to do better than that. :smiley:

It’s this misconfusion miscommunication with my dad that’s the main reason I can’t speak politics with him, I also think it’s one of the main reasons I do well here in that I never take things personally.

Sorry didn’t mean to interrupt, and didn’t mean anything else here with this post, it’s just that I had a bad day last weekend trying to explain the UBI proposals that are getting some traction.

I’m going to stop taking politics with him going forward because he’s in his 70’s still quite able though, but time is short.

:v:

1 Like

Let’s go to the tape:

You’re the one who made it about people in this forum instead of millenials or gen X in the abstract, not me.

Ever have a conversation with an American and realize that they just don’t get something basic about where you live? That’s what is happening now. You just don’t have the base understanding of America that wookie does.

1 Like

Millennials, notorious for buying up all the houses.

18 Likes

Another bad faith argument.

Plenty of Gen X over mortgaged themselves to buy bigger houses than they needed, or multiple houses as buy to let, here anyway.

There’s a lot of denial around, as well as projection.

It’s not bad faith.

And this is not unethical.

Differences in degree matter:

If you want to talk about bad faith, bad faith is claiming based on nothing but your own imagination that people in this forum would have acted and voted exactly like boomers to secure and increase their own wealth at the expense of people who come after them rather than taking them at their word that they hate this behavior and find it unethical.

4 Likes

Yeah, you’re the guy who says we’re spending thousands of dollars for a dinner.

1 Like

Even Trump fucking took it, wants credit for it, and won’t actually promote it.

Now he’s Trump, so he’s a special case of WTF. But I’m sure that there are plenty of boomers who will quietly get it while still being outwardly covid-is-a-hoax-bill-gates-microchip-something-something-antivaxers.

If someone calls them on it, then it’s “Well I didn’t want to get it, but they wouldn’t let me on the cruise ship”.

2 Likes

The problem there is the (boomer written if we want to make it about generations) tax code. Buy to let interest is deductible, interest on your residence isn’t. Your government has made landlording too profitable for the good of your society. Blaming people for making rational decisions is dumb.

No, based on their actions while the world has been plunging into an ever greater multidimensional crisis that most are well aware of, the generations that followed boomers have absolutely no right to claim the moral high ground.

Boomers were guilty of plenty but competing with each other for bigger houses and buy to lets that they dont need while millions live on the streets is one thing you can’t accuse boomers of. That’s your generation. Own it instead of deflecting blame onto a fashionable scapegoat for all of the worlds problems.

My argument, to reiterate it, is that every generation is full of the same sucky people who’d behave in very similar ways to other generations in their shoes, and therefore demonising particular generations is not only pointless it’s also pretty stupid because it’s not the individuals as much as the system that’s at fault, and it’s a telltale sign that someone has conservative values when they don’t agree or don’t want to admit this.

2 Likes

It’s the giveaway that he’s trolling wookie. I didn’t follow the thread and don’t know how much it cost, but I think wookie did a TR on the French Laundry or some place like that.

My generation (x I guess) is quite often quite desperate to buy every bit as much house as they can. It’s hard to resist. The importance people attach to homes and good neighborhoods is hard to overstate.

3 Likes

Exactly who in the fuck do you think has most of the money and nearly all of the political power in this country?

1 Like

Right. Not enough lolz in the world when it comes to impugning millenials and gen X for the current ills of society when we have vastly less wealth and political power.

My generation is absolutely not guilty of buying up investment property. Tragically few of us even own a first house.

1 Like

A once-in-a-lifetime trip to a Michelin restaurant for someone who’s an enthusiastic home chef is why Jal is being a moralizing ass here? Just imagine I’m posting a gif of someone doing jackoff hand motions here.

4 Likes