Bicycles

I think that’s what I like the most out here. 90% of my riding is on paved trails.

There’s been a lot of car/bicycle accidents lately so I’m happy to not be riding on the roads.

I’ve done a lot of bike touring and Washington highway 20 is one of my favorites. Great conditions and exceptionally polite cars.

Finger Lakes are awesome in general

Bought a road bike a month ago. Still getting into the swing of things, going about 5-10m rides currently.

Very difficult to find a good shirt/jersey that’s not a tight fit but doesn’t ride up my back as a tall person. I basically can’t wear tshirts, have to get bike specific stuff lol.

Are you using clip in pedals? It’ll make a huge difference in how far you can go.

I’ve held off on buying bike specific clothing (except for padded panties) until I drop a few pounds. I"m not willing to stuff this amount of fat into a lycra sausage casing.

The guy who runs the bike shop in town runs a couple of races through the National Forest, also, I think.

So, probably gonna take flak for this but … anyone else here not ride with a helmet? I never have, and it simply feels so [insert something] for 95% of my riding.

I always wear a helmet. They’ve protected enough heads in accidents that I think the science is pretty settled on it.

Also, I have a 9 year old daughter and it’s much easier to get her to wear a helmet if I’m wearing one.

3 Likes

If I had a kid, I would do the same.

Yeah got clipless a few weeks ago, it’s awesome

Nice! They definitely make things easier. If you want to blow your mind, concentrate on your pedaling and pedaling in a full circle, not just down. The movement should be kind of like removing mud from your shoes on a doormat. I have to really concentrate to do it for any length of time, but it’s a lot more effecient.

How many times did you fall when you first started riding clipless? I tumbled 3 times, but haven’t since. It’s such an embarrassing, super slow fall over with no way to stop it.

1 Like

Haha haven’t fallen yet, mainly because I’ve read how much other people have, so I’m concentrating not to whenever I stop

This was crazy to me doing Peloton rides over the winter that are having you focus on different parts of the motion. I almost always had a BMX bike.

1 Like

True.
I know some of the Finger Lakes. Rellies there. Great cycling and vineyards, wineries, lakes, breweries. I like hills and have done many tours in the Alps and west Scotland, but I’m older now and a couple yrs ago the short Bopple Hill on west of Canandaigua lake just about fkn killed me by the top.
Roads around lakes are relatively flat for obv reason. The Finger Lakes has everything from brutal hills to longer moderate undulating or almost totally flat long rides.
Great scenery and just about all the wineries and breweries you can shake a stick at to plan your trip around…those are solid priorities for me.

1 Like

I don’t wear a helmet when cycling. Personal choice. I enjoy my risk/reward ratio much better that way.

Studies have also shown that wearing a helmet while driving a car reduces injuries/fatalities,

Man, the only way to go 14 miles around Boulder and only have ~300 feet of vert is to use a stationary bike….

If you haven’t tried bib overall shorts you should grab a pair. Much more comfortable for big stomachs. It’s been a while since I rode but performance bike used to have reasonably priced cycling gear that was a little more low-key than the fun cycling gear.

I see the crazies on 36 between Broomfield and Boulder and question my fitness. 100 degrees and they are just flying on those paths. When I lived in Breck I’d see people on Swan Mountain Rd that goes between Frisco and Dillon and that incline is crazy.

1 Like

When I was visiting Denver and went up to Pikes Peak, there was a guy pedaling his way up. Seemed painful.

1 Like

Back in the saddle after taking a break due to being too busy camping. Still waiting on the new bike. Shipping got pushedb back 10 days to July 21… Really hoping they’re going to under promise and over deliver.

3 Likes

Anyone have a company/brand they like for single speeds?

I bought a super old refurbished bike during Covid because I wasn’t sure how much I’d use it and it was like $200. I’ve had some issues with it (one of the pedals snapped off and a couple flat tires) so I’d probably want to get a new one if I’m gonna throw a kid seat on it and bike around with my kiddo.

Just probably looking for a single speed because I’d be just riding it in Chicago which has like 8 feet of elevation change in the entire city and taking out the gearbox means one less thing to go wrong.

I can’t think of any adult bike with a single speed that isn’t a fixie or a beach cruiser.

The shifting system is pretty straightforward and doesn’t require too much maintenance.

What’s your budget? Maybe I can recommend something?

I’d say under $1k for a brand new bike would be my budget. I don’t need a super fancy road bike, just something for city trips anywhere from 2-8 miles.