Bicycles

I have currently a bicycle project. I bought an old thing after 2 of my better ones got legs in two years. The gear switch was from the beginning basically non-functioning so that I was riding it in one gear, what is not so nice. Now recently it got some break problems the back one stopped working completely and the front one squeaks really bad. On top it is dark here so I need to put light on it.

The plan is three steps:
The easiest is to put the light on it. I already bought one. So I think it won’t be a problem. The second one is to change the breaks. I don’t think that I will have any problems with it. I pulled-off the old ones and they are indeed used-up to the metal. I ordered a set of new brake pads. I don’t expect any problems.

The complicated step is gear shift. Puuuhhhh. Some googling and reading on a bicycle forum delivered that it is a good idea to change the levers for the gear switch and cables between the switch and the levers. So I am trying right now to pull-off one lever and separate the corresponding cable from the gear shift. I pulled off one lever with some oil . So I know how to do it and that I can. Now I am trying to separate the cable from the switch. I successfully released the screw in green circle which was holding the end of the cable. Now it is somehow stuck in this red circle. As far as I can judge there are no screws around and it should be possible just to pull it out. But it is not. It is possible that the cable rusted to the switch. It is also possible that there is somewhere a screw that keeps it there.

The plan is as first to google more. If someone has an idea, all hints are much appreciated.

2 Likes

Zen and the art of bicycle maintenance

3 Likes

Start here.

They have quite detailed videos for each type of brake. There are also text-based guides linked in the description if you prefer.

1 Like

Got a new bike! It’s my first single speed but I’m loving the weight so far

6 Likes

Funny story - I spent like 30 minutes trying to screw it in and figured it was a lack of lube. Turns out the left pedal screws in left… that makes complete sense.

1 Like

I just use it to hop around different breweries and restaurants with friends. Very casual rides.

1 Like

If vice grips don’t work you can try drilling it out and maybe bolt extractors and stuff, but I’d just cut it in the middle and replace it. Reciprocating saw should work. Alternatively, this might be one of the rare occasions where I’d use a cutoff wheel on a grinder.

2 Likes

I think I’d have a shot at getting that off with this:

These are great channel locks.

I’ve never done this, but I think I’ve seen people using a torch effectively for loosening something like this.

1 Like

This was the case for one of the used bikes for my kids also. I’m not handy. I took it to a bike shop, and the regular employees couldn’t do it but said the tools guy who comes in once a week might. He did, and it cost $10.

1 Like

I am thinking of buying one of the following and want opinions. I want an inexpensive primarily for light exercise that I can easily pack in my car to bring on vacation. I have not owned a bicycle in 25 years. Other than a helmet (also looking for cheap), what accessories would I need to buy?

IDS Home unYOUsual U Transformer 20" Folding City Bike Bicycle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CL4OBQG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A22Q0QY5OHFW08&psc=1

Schwinn Loop Adult Folding Bike

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IASZ7QG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I have a bunch of local Twitter follows who all swear by Brompton folding bikes.

I’ve heard of them. My price point is, um, significantly lower. Like 20% of the cheapest Brompton.

I’m probably going to try it out and if I like it and actually use it then I may upgrade in a few years. (But probably something more in the price range of a Dahon.)

I didn’t even think of this and just assumed there was a bolt opposite. If there isn’t, my advice was very bad!

1 Like

Is the bolt loose yet? Hmm… I just checked the weather in BC. No rush.

I went swimming today too. 2 people per lane limit. 50 minute limit. My 3rd time swimming in the last couple weeks. Also my 3rd time swimming laps in about 10 years. The first time was very hard. Not objectively great this time, but much much better.

4 Likes

Shopping for a bicycle handlebar/saddle bag. Considering this …

I like the style and the fact that it is on the larger side of these bags (10 inches long), has a handle, and two separte sets of straps, which seems like it would ease clipping on and removing from the bike. Just wondering if anyone had recs.

I don’t envision carrying much in it–keys, phone, book, notepad, lock, tacos, sandwich, etc… I like the way leather distresses, but that’s just me. Would intend to get it dirty. I imagine being able to bike to a trailhead a few miles away, take this bag into the woods with me for a few hours, eat said tacos, return to bike.

Also looking at this …

https://www.amazon.com/HERTE-Bicycle-Handlebar-Repellent-Leather/dp/B08Y7NNXZH

1 Like

What kind of bike do you have? If you have a flat bar road bike, it may interfere with the brake handles.

I’ve done a lot of cycletouring and love handlebar bags. Would tour w rear panniers + rack for big stuff, clothes, camping shit etc, and always a handlebar bag for snacks, wallet, passport, camera etc. When you stop at a cafe or toilet or whatever you just whip off the handlebar bag with all your important stuff.
Handlebar bag is awesome for day trips as the only luggage option.

Been a long time since I bought one tho - still rocking some old shit.
Just a super quick google but how about something like this? They pretty much all have clips to take a shoulder strap.
IMO just check it will attach ok to whatever bars you have without interference and shop for the volume you think you’ll need. Some form of relatively quick release is good.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Handlebar-Front-Frame-Bag/dp/B089GT646L/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=bicycle+handlebar+bag&qid=1619055386&sr=8-4

My criteria:
Waterproof.
Attachment system.
Volume

Think about the most stuff you might want to pack (sandwiches, gloves, beanie?) and plan for volume to accommodate at least that maximum. You’ll usually end up throwing more snacks in there (no bad thing when cycling).

1 Like

Finally bought my bike. I haven’t ridden it yet. The manual suggests taking it to a professional shop before riding. I can ignore, right? The pump doesn’t arrive for a couple of days. I don’t need to wait so I can check the tires, right?

The manual also doesn’t say what this is.