Bicycles

I thought it was, but I couldn’t get it to make a noise. I kept trying to push the plastic round part in the middle of the metal part.

I got this bike which says it has a six speed Shimano gear. I have no idea what quality that is. Not even sure I know how and when to shift gears.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CL4OBQG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A22Q0QY5OHFW08&psc=1

1 Like

I’m going to need to read up on basic cycling etiquette.

The park literally next to my apartment complex has a ten-foot-wide asphalt path that is over two miles long. That is where I will test.

There are instructions for how often to lubricate, oil, and grease parts that I find intimidating, but my cyclist brother (who once road from Portland to San Francisco) said he doesn’t really bother with that.

1 Like

In the US I’ve done well with riding like I’m another vehicle on the road, just on the slower side. You really want to be predictable. Too passive can be dangerous. Take the space you need, hold your line.

Be polite to smaller, unpredictable things like pedestrians.

2 Likes

Took my bike out for its maiden voyage. I’m so out of shape, I’m not sure if I even went five minutes. I’m huffing and puffing, my legs are on fire, and, dear god, why do my arms hurt so much? Took me a while just to feel like I wasn’t going to fall. Now, I need to figure out what the proper height is for the handlebars and seat.

3 Likes

The right fit is essential, otherwise things will hurt that aren’t supposed to hurt (like your arms).

So I bought this a couple of years ago:

Which has been an awesome commuter bike, bike to ride with my kid, and bike to do sub-30 mile rides on.

However, I rode a neighbors high end carbon road bike and whoa - I’ve spent the last few days salivating over a new bike. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on this one when I lose 20 pounds as a reward:

https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-polygon-strattos-s8-disc-road-bike

That’s about $1500-$2000 less than any of the comparable name brand bikes.

I bought my daughter this one from the same manufacturer a few weeks ago and it’s a really well built bike for the price:

The only issue it had was it needed some derailleur adjustment and these bikes are made in England so the brakes are backwards so I had to swap the brake cables. Not too much of a problem. And all she wants do now is ride, so I’m riding by myself 15-20 miles and then I have to do another 5-10 with her.

5 Likes

Which one? The Srattos? I’d guess it is. My friends bike I rode was a rocket. This one should be similar.

Yeah, I’m likely pulling the trigger on it on Monday. Won’t ship until mid July.

1 Like

Uh, didn’t make it to Monday. Pulled the trigger today. Delivery supposedly mid-July. I’ll post pictures and thoughts when it arrives in case anybody is in the market…

Please do. Have been thinking about about a new bike but really intimidated by spending… well I’ve never spent more than 700 before. My bike is made of lead.

1 Like

I’m not buying a new one but I think newer bikes are really cool. My godson is a mechanical engineer and is super into bikes. He just got a new job at a company that makes high-end bike parts. His bike is worth about 10x my car (granted, it’s 20 years old).

Hold on, I’ll weigh my old mountain bike… 30 lbs. Ha, I guessed 40.

Think I’m just going to use this as my cycling blog.

I’m going to do the reach the beach ride in September. Either 26 or 44 miles. Anybody in Western Washington interested in joining?

4 Likes

Did a ride with my daughter, my neighbor, and his 4 kids. Youngest was in a trailer, but the second youngest, a 4 year old boy, managed to do the whole 8 miles on his own bike. I was impressed.

1 Like

No training wheels.

It was 4 miles to a park, about a half hour of playing, and 4 miles back. I was impressed too.

Did a good chunk of miles this morning with a Facebook cycling group:

5dve4u

11 Likes

Did a few miles on Sunday. Took yesterday off because my body was telling me to take a breather:

Signed up for the Reach the Beach ride. Going to do 44 miles from Elma, WA to Westport. If any of you would like to donate to the cause, drop a private message and I’ll send you the link.

1 Like

If there’s better place to cycle in summer, I sure don’t know of it.

Western Washington is magical in the summer.

3 Likes

The Finger Lakes in upstate NY is amazing and there are serious cyclists and riding groups around. It’s this hilly, pastoral, lake-view area … unfortunately, some of the best roads/most necessary are also fairly high-trafic routes and so it’s not quite perfect.

2 Likes