Best decade of music

Not a hardcore fan, but would certainly participate.

1 Like

That explains the senility.

1 Like

My man Seal Henry was so close to an 80ā€™s artist. Might have to change my vote, simply on his strength alone. And to clear away any confusion, I think the year an artist releases their debut should place them in a decade. No Metallica-type confusion thereby.

Plus heā€™s of Nigerian descent Goat. Which team gets R. Kelly?

1 Like

Technically, itā€™s early-onset guitarded syndrome.

1 Like

Are you simply remembering that AFD had a lot of radio cuts? It has great individual songs but a brilliantly-constructed album it is not. Really narrow range of tempo, dynamics, timbre, and arrangements. Itā€™s a fairly fatiguing 54 minutes of balls-to-the-wall uptempo shuffle blues metal in one sitting.

I think itā€™s one of the best debut albums ever. Aside from Welcome to the Jungle none of the singles on it would make it into the top half of my track rankings for the album. It has only a couple bad songs (Iā€™m looking at you, Out Ta Get Me) and a ton of great ones. Complaining that itā€™s samey is like complaining that the old Metallica albums contain nothing but thrash metal. Appetite is a hard rock album, it contains hard rock.

UYI1 is like 50% filler. I wouldnā€™t care if most of the songs on it ceased to exist. I guess if you like the Stradlin tracks maybe you like it more.

2 Likes

And all that sophisticated dissection of whether musical element is over-present or under-determined has absolutely nothing to do with an attraction. Itā€™s a brain exercise, trying to put language to the ineffable.

Itā€™s like our initial interest in sport having absolutely nothing to do with all the peripheral noise: off-the-field bullshit, ratings, the business aspects.

Same, even down to driving super far and seeing two stops on the tour. Literally wept at the first show, so amazing.

2 Likes

Hard to disagree with 80-93 (what were the standouts from 77-79 though?). I ultimately went with 90s, because In Utero, Aeroplane, and Illmatic are top 10 for me. But it definitely sucks having to choose between that and Joshua Tree, REMā€™s IRS era, and the Smiths. Two very high quality decades.

2 Likes

Bowieā€™s Berlin Trilogy

Fleetwood Mac Rumors

Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever

innumerable others Iā€™m sure

2 Likes

For personal taste Iā€™d still go 98-07, but overall quality id go 91-00. You get to start with Spiderland, Loveless, nevermind and a host of others and finish with Agaetis Byrjun and Kid A.

1990 is a pretty weak year but 91 is just insanely stacked.

Youā€™re not into effing the ineffable?

Only if itā€™s slathered in Olive Garden dressing.

Besides the more mainstream things listed by Rivaldo,

1978 - Kate Bush debuted with Wuthering Heights
1979 - The Clash released London Calling
1978 - Siouxsie and the Bansheeā€™s debut album The Scream released
1978 - Roxy Music reformed and released Manifesto
1979 - Joy Division released their debut album

Those 3 years were the foundation of the post-punk, new wave, and dark wave movements, and produced some of the most influential artists and music of the modern era, IMHO.

This doesnā€™t work well for artists who debut at the end of a decade.

1 Like

Weā€™ve all got our foibles when it comes to musical taste but substandard Roxy and the Banshees donā€™t deserve to be on the same list as the others. And where are Fear Of Music and Adventure?

Yeah, NIN/Nirvana arenā€™t an 80s band.

Bad news for teams not named 80s. Phil Collins solo career just took a steamy, greasy, gelatinous-nugget-containing, oozy molasses on your chest.

1 Like

Fuck Phil Collins (apart from drums on a few early Genesis tracks and some Eno albums).

We should make a supergroup of performers who shouldā€™ve retired early with a decent career behind them instead of being subjected to much deserved ridicule ever since.

The Uberghouls

Drums - Phil Collins
Vocals/piano - Elton John
Lead vocals - Rod Stewart