Anime sureddo: アニメスレッド (discuss your favorite anime)

The fact that Evangelion is still a thing is marketing brilliance. Got a total of six movies out of it after the TV series.

I’m a Great Teacher Onizuka fan. I’m not him but his unwillingness to be one of the distant, uptight teachers is something I try to follow.

I think a lot of the late 90s stuff is more special since the freedom the writers were granted resulted in these gems that were a cross section of virtue and exploitation.

A lot of the generic type stuff you’re gonna find on streams is usually aiming for a “wider” audience.

(Non sequitur)

Man, the soundtrack on Bleach is soooooo good. Maybe it’s just my brain but I really feel anime provides a much better palate for music to seep into your consciousness as you absorb the plot.

This comic still cracks me up

2 Likes

We’re the movies any good? I can’t think of a single example of one (spinoff films from series) that I’m fond of.

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a good example of the opposite but it’s a unicorn.

A lot of the show makes no sense at any level, that’s kinda why it reminds me of TP. Why doesn’t Shinji live with his dad? What the hell is up with that penguin? Why are children piloting the giant robots and not adults?

1 Like

Children piloting the war machines was Orwellian level prophesy IMO.

Also, I’m assuming kids were gaming in Japan before ROW.

Penguins can’t get on that tiger level eh? You ever been to a zoo?

-Death and Rebirth was basically a retelling of the final two episodes combined with the first half of the actual movie. Waste of time.

-End of Evangelion was basically a retelling of the ending. Instead of the more abstract, optimistic ending you get a dark fucked up one. I actually enjoyed this one but it wasn’t incredible.

The next two movies are basically the TV series packaged together. The animation and artwork are updated and a new character is introduced. Cut out most of the fan service and comic elements.

The third movie was where things get different. Personally, I thought it was a dud of a film because there was almost no real plot development. Like the tools were there for it but nothing happened.

The fourth and supposedly final movie was released in Japan but I can’t find a fansubbed copy of it to download.

Always amazing how much milk the creators have been able to squeeze out of Evangelion without really doing anything new.

Because Shinji is a spineless coward whose father is a huge asshole for wanting to cause the Third Impact.

Penguin is cliched mascot stuff. Was a thing in 90s anime to have a cute animal for comedy scenes.

Because their mothers’ souls are held within the Eva and can only turn on when their offspring are inside of it. Of course this is not the case with Rei since she is basically a dummy.

He’s like 14, for crying out loud.

Not sure how I ignored Outlaw Star this long but it definitely makes the list of classics. Only 4 episodes in but I’m already feeling it like a brand new, super soft shirt.

You can see a ton of seminal ideas in it. Likable characters. Badass women. Space pirates. Physics accounted for in the story lines. Closest thing I’ve seen to Bebop. A little on the silly side. Dub on this one is really good.

Biggest weakness is the soundtrack. Keeps it from that super elite tier. Completely understand the appreciation for modern, cleaner animation but that older, dirtier aesthetic just has so much more style, imo.

After Outlaw Star I’m going straight films, chronological from oldest moving forward. Not even reading write ups or any critiques. These 2 should be among the first up.

1 Like

Man I haven’t watched Outlaw Star in close to 20 years. The comparison to Bebop is pretty accurate. I think it gets some shit because it’s like it but not as good and so it gets overlooked as a result.

Never heard of Outlaw Star before, I’ll have to put this on my to-watch list.

Hey thanks. Please tag me or send me a PM when you review them.

3 Likes

I’m two eps into Outlaw Star and I’m not really feeling it. I like the retro 90’s anime style but it has was too much of a Sunday morning cartoon vibe for me. Doesn’t hold up next to Bebop or Champloo.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. I’m 8 episodes in. Was going to finish it and reevaluate. I originally assumed it was a few years older.

The fantasy element is a bit heavy. It’s a mish mash of characters from alot of the classics of the era. Still, it really is less than the sum of its parts.

I would absolutely ignore all of its weaknesses if the soundtrack was strong but it’s probably the biggest detriment.

There were a few seconds of Ninja Scroll strings in the music in episode 4 or 5 that got my attention.

Still worth finishing for historical context.

Check out Black Lagoon.

10 min into Megazone, loving it! Stay tuned!

Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer : Best seen with minimal comment. I really enjoyed this. A philosophical banger.

Just realized Megazone 23 is a 4 part OVA. The first part was a challenge. Requires a very high suspension of disbelief. That thermal imaging scene, lol. Also is the first anime I remember seeing product placement in. Though there is alot of 80’s anime I have not seen. I can see the obvious film reference.

Some hardcore seminal ideas wrapped in plastic 80’s tropes and fluff. The moronic protagonist that accounts for all the plot holes better die at some point.

Is there much difference between the dubs?

1 Like

I noticed this too and lol I can’t tell if they actually got money from Coca-Cola or if the animators were just copying what they saw in American movies.