Anime sureddo: アニメスレッド (discuss your favorite anime)

Fullmetal alchemist
One punch man
Attack on Titan

All great

2 Likes

Oh yeah one punch man is so fuckin good. The guy who made that show did another called Mob Psycho 100 which is also tremendous

Eric Trump complained that Google image results for mob showed stills from that show and not antifa which proved to him that antifa runs Google but actually mob psycho 100 deserves to be at the top of all Google search results for everything

2 Likes

Couldn’t hang with One Punch Man.

2 eps into Samurai Champloo and it’s outstanding.

2 Likes

Despite being the “Japan guy” on this forum I’m not a huge anime fan. However, a couple I have enjoyed over the years are:

-Marmalade Boy (anime much better than the manga it’s based on)
-Oishinbo (original manga and subsequent anime equally enjoyable)

Both available on Netflix I believe.

2 Likes

I like how anachronistic it is. Baseball, beatboxing and competitive eating during feudal Japan? Count me in!

2 Likes

Got damn I love that baseball episode.

SC really is the GOAT entertainment series. Repping the mix of American/Japanese cultures that makes Anime so special to the fullest.

2 Likes

Baseball first came to Japan in 1872 and the show is loosely based on Edo Japan (1603-1868), so it’s not a totally ridiculous stretch to have a baseball episode.

2 Likes

Yeah I thought about that after I posted but I think that’s why the episode resonates even more.

1 Like

Any chance one of you anime fans has seen the anime films Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer (1984) and/or Megazone 23 (1985)?

1 Like

I never really watched anything other than Ninja Scroll but god damn that was good.

1 Like

You should watch Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

1 Like

Omg!!! Delighted to see this treasure on Netflix.

It’s a perfect subject matter for anime, which traditionally portrays more twisted, grotesque figures than comparable Western animation. It also somewhat circumvents the PG-13 curse that afflicted the X-Men films until the arrival of Logan and Deadpool.

In general, the show is beautifully drawn with good attention to detail. Additionally, the English voice acting is top-notch and serves each of the characters’ personalities, arguably better than their Japanese counterparts–the incomparable Steve Blum, for instance, who’s a prominent voice actor known for his portrayal of Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop and Amon in Legend of Korra, is a perfect fit for the iconic Wolverine.

The red-stained hellscapes that represent the mental battleground are unmistakable in their likeness to genjutsu from the popular Naruto series, and portals through which Professor X enters and exits these psychic realms are nearly identical to the Garganta utilized by various characters in Bleach.

Another glaring reference is to Akira, the groundbreaking film that brought anime to the public consciousness back in 1988. Visual elements of mutant transformations harken back to Akira’s climactic scene in which its tragic antagonist Tetsuo becomes overwhelmed by his powers and mutates into a monstrous mass of flesh, and the way in which a key mutant with immense power is stored in an underground chamber is reminiscent of the cryogenic containment unit that contains the titular Akira.

The allusions to Akira are interesting because they complement a core theme of the X-Men that has existed since their inception, which is that their powers manifest in adolescence and are often tied to their emotions. The X-Men anime also doesn’t rely on these references to build its identity, and so they add to the story rather than detracting.

My only complaint is that sometimes the English dub is LAUGHABLY wrong, like screws up an entire plot point wrong so you have no idea what’s happening, but it’s so gorgeous that you don’t really need to.

To me, this one went pound for pound against the 90s Fox version, and the super intense opening will let you know in the first two minutes whether this is to your taste.

I’ve seen Beautiful Dreamer, it was on the sci-fi channel’s summer anime week where they’d play a movie a night for five days back in like 99. That also how I saw Fatal Fury The Movie.

Also anyone who hasn’t seen Steins;Gate or Danganronpa 1 should check them out.

2 Likes

Yes it is.

Anyway, gotta think of something new to watch. I got some time to kill.

Tubi is killing the game on animated series right now.

They currently have Bleach, Cowboy Bebop, and One Piece and a long list of others that I’m not familiar with.

Those 3 listed are pure magic.

Currently on a rewatch of Bleach. There’s just nothin like it. An amazing mix of Western and Eastern spirituality , stunning artwork, cheesy self determinism, slapstick, and a soundtrack that is beyond description.

I would recommend going through the 1st season before making judgement. It heavily borrows from dragonball but the artwork and music is way more diverse and eclectic.

Even when it’s weaknesses show strongest it’s still amazing just to absorb the sound and visuals. Imagine a combination of dragonball, Miyazaki, and Iron Maiden tshirt aesthhetics.

Also has the fricking GOAT comic book death that involves death god scientists.

1 Like

I’ve been rewatching Evangelion for no special reason. It’s easy to take this for granted since it’s superficially about kids fighting monsters with giant robots, but there’s just so much going on under the surface in terms of childhood trauma and mental illness that it deserves to be seen a second time. It’s especially odd watching this after watching Twin Peaks, since both of the shows have the same kind of energy. Evangelion is about teen piloting fighting robots in much the same way as TP was a murder mystery.

I’m also 5 eps into Netflix’s Godzilla anime. Not sure what I think so far. Characters are fun, lots of technobabble that I don’t care about. The problem with any 'zilla movie is that you have to wait too long for the big guy to show up, this issue is compounded with a TV series. Two hours in and still no Godzilla, just a flock of Rodans and a Jet Jaguar fighting each other.

1 Like

I first watched Evangelion ~ 2 years ago. I can only imagine how amazing it was to see in 1995.

Way ahead of its time on so many fronts. I need to rewatch it again for better discussion. Downloaded it onto a flash drive since there were rumors that Netflix was makin a version and the OG version might get tough to come by.

It’s a deceptive show because the first few eps really are just a straightforward show about teens fighting space monsters with giant robots. Very easy to not take it seriously until you’re a dozen eps in and you realize it’s about characters dealing with untreated mental health issues.

And then there’s the whole backstory involving space Jesus/Adam and angels and shit. I still don’t understand what that’s all about.

2 Likes

Have you ever watched the Ghost In The Shell series?

Your comment about space Jesus reminded me of some dialogue from one of the “robots” in which they make an analogy about the mathematical utility of zero to humans understanding of God.

The series is elite and just amazing when you think about that, at its core, it’s a show about law enforcement.

Yeah, I remember it’s dark as fuck.