About Moderation

Outrage. I never do actual modding

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I get the gist of your post and the meaning of #2 in particular.

Obedience and turning a blind eye is a personally safe option, for sure.

I donā€™t think itā€™s obvious that less is better.

Itā€™s subtle, but I get what CW is doing now. Itā€™s a meta commentary on the dangers of mall cops over policing the kids in the foodcourt. Heā€™s making fun of otatop and econo for being too hands on, which explains why he isnā€™t mad when they overrule him.

1 Like

Itā€™s meta commentary where heā€™s being the anti-Elon.

The main reasoning is fewer opportunities for modding to be unfair.

eta: Also less chance of stifling conversations, but I already said that.

?

There are more similarities than differences. Both crack down on jokes/posts that are critical of them, both act on flags/ā€œflagsā€ that reflect poorly on their own actions, both use heavy handed changes to shape twitter/UP in their own image, both enjoy firing/banning outgroups, etc, etc. Maybe my analogy should have used Elon instead of a mall cop.

Itā€™s quite a subtle, clever performance from CW tbh.

Both loudly cheered on by a collection of fans that enjoy seeing power being wielded.

1 Like

How about fuck all of that shit and let people continue to do what they have wanted to and had been able to for the last 15 year in many cases which is to poke fun and argue with other folks on the internet.

4 Likes

Lots of people think that social media sites are under-moderated. Compared to other forums I have participated in, this place feels lightly moderated. Iā€™m not sure if people get that if their other forum experience is primarily 2+2.

Youā€™re kidding. The new rules here make this place much more heavily modded than 2+2.

1 Like

Iā€™m saying this place has lighter modding than other non-2+2 forums I have participated in.

So you are, I misread that. But are those other forums politics forums?

Non-political, often with zero tolerance for political talk and willing to give out permanent bans.

Thatā€™s the critical difference. Political opinions run hot whereas vintagecars dot com is inherently calmer.

I donā€™t see thatā€™s a useful comparison point.

Opinions can run hot on a sports forum. Others forums donā€™t have drama over similar moderation policies against direct personal attacks, name-calling, and profanity.

Does anyone disagree that one of the grievances in the formation of this place was Mason and Mat making it difficult to permanently ban perceived bad actors from the 2+2 politics forum and allowing stuff like Unchained?

Iā€™ve come to the point where Iā€™m going to believe Clovisā€™ post was a sarcastic critique. Bravo. Iā€™m so jaded by people actually holding that position that I didnā€™t recognize it.

Most forums I have been on would have seen about 10-20 permas by now.

Probably more if everyone who requested one was duly granted