About Moderation

When the back and forth quips get to be too much and start a derail, why not just create a containment thread for it? “Lagtight explains the benefits of Christian Charities:”, or whatever

I know what it’s like to be on the bottom of a dog pile here and that has always worked for me. He can explain himself until either he or others get tired and move onto something else imo

We voted to not have any more votes. Seriously.

1 Like

We did that before:

1 Like

Clearly 10x more trolling and bad-faith coming towards him than from him.

Expecting him to take all the heat and always respond perfectly without ever dishing back is unreasonable. If you ban him you’re essentially saying no conservatives are ever allowed to post here. Which is your choice ofc but call it for what it is.

1 Like

#spit-take-gif

only 51 without my ignore!

I’m all for a ban or containment thread. The latter is fine so if anyone wants to talk with them, they go to that thread. But it is annoying reading derails in other threads. I’m not putting the people who engage with him on ignore, so even though I have lagtight on ignore, I still have to scroll past lots of replies.

I do not think this is a matter of banning anyone who is a conservative, though with what it takes to be a conservative in today’s world, it’s hard to imagine anyone who supports Trump not engaging in the behaviors that lead to a ban or containment. How different would the response be if we had a conservative ITT who demanded anyone but Trump? There would be a lot of common ground despite firm disagreement on policies. I confess that I’d find them hard to stomach however if they support the same vitriol the current GOP puts forth toward poor and queer people and women.

4 Likes

For the people that think he should not be banned, I assume it’s from ideological freeze peach type perspective? Surely no one thinks that the forum experience is now worse because he’s not here?

3 Likes

to me it’s more that i can put up with argumentative people (of any belief) less and less as i get older. online, in person, nobody got time for that.

like picture signing up for r/conservative and spending an hour or two a day arguing with them about why they’re wrong about things, why would anyone do that?

i’m well past my “i’m gonna change the world” phase haha

6 Likes

Like this

I like posts like this because it further confirms my theory that UP is largely a support group for emotionally fragile and feeble-minded digruntled Lefties.

is just terrible posting and has nothing to do with being a conservative.

3 Likes

He wasn’t banned for firing back (either the first temp or this one). It was the jumping in to troll other people in discussions that he wasn’t a part of.

First ban was questioning whether Kamala was a man and then JAQing off about whether rape was wrong.

Second was insulting Wichita (and UP in general) for saying we’d be better off if Trump was dead.

To the extent he was just firing back, he was pretty much allowed to do that. You’re right that it’s going to be hard for a conservative to post here - but if you go to a forum where 99% of the people disagree with you, I think it’s on you to tone it down if you want to be allowed to be a member of that community.

7 Likes

Is this a 10yr (‘Capitain’) ban we’re talking or a sentence he may outlive?

Votes are always good for self-esteem (if you win 'em)

100%

i question why you’d even want to do it in the first place, there’s no good reason. but if someone wants to be the 1%, go for it. just don’t clutch pearls when you get picked on.

1 Like

Oh, so this is just one big echo chamber for people who think rape is wrong?

6 Likes

This forum is way too lenient like giving the same person bans of various lengths for violating the same rules over and over. This isn’t a public school where there’s some obligation to let people participate. If people are clearly operating in bad faith just permaban them and move on.

10 Likes

Fair enough, but when is the last time we had a conservative in the forum who wasn’t trolling everyone left and right? I can’t recall such a time when the purported conservative wasn’t throwing hands in a disgusting and trollish manner. It would be different if someone showed up simply saying hey guys maybe we should get our government spending under control.

2 Likes

The rare David Frenches of the world do exist, but for the most part this is evergreen.

11 Likes

Exactly.

i agree. and argue that it’s not conservatives per se, it’s the type of person that wants to be the one contrarian voice on a site.

2 Likes

I mean, if conservatives actually cared to argue about policy or whatever it might be concerning to ban them outright, but that’s not the state of modern conservatism. Modern conservatism is really only about racism, misogyny, oppression of LGBTQ people, Christianity (as a front for racism, misogyny and oppression of LGBTQ people), disinformation, bad faith, and the embrace of double standards as a show of power. Why should any one of those be welcome here? They aren’t new ideas, and they actively harm community members I value far more than what any conservative asshole can bring to the table.

2 Likes