About Moderation

Fair enough.

You’re missing a crucial step between your first and second points:

-people involved in the first dogpiles developed a taste for it which led to further conflict and “othering”

Eliminate certain topics and the expression of certain points of view.

I’m of the general take that most people here wouldn’t be for that.

I should also just generally say that I didn’t post or read threads here a ton until recently again for about a year or so. So I’m sure I missed a lot of the interactions. The Covid and Ukraine threads seemed to be particularly conflict filled and for the most part I haven’t participated in those much(especially not recently) so that could be why I have a bit of a blind spot to your point.

1 Like

Believe it or not people just didn’t like posters like Churchill posting awfully in the covid thread repeatedly. No one actually liked dealing with him.

1 Like

That’s fine, everyone has a different forum experience. I recall one thread in particular, the covid origins thread. At one point (iirc this was for weeks), the thread was throttled at one post per day per user. You could only make a post once per day! That was kind of a radicalizing moment for me where I thought that whatever this place is, it’s not a discussion forum.

2 Likes

Churchill joined the forum some time after the first dogpiles, and in any case his posting in the covid thread turned out to be wiser than pretty much everyone’s despite all the mutual backslapping and proclamations of “the best resource for covid information on the internet”.

Embarrassing.

Noooo no no no, I was never on the perma Churchill bandwagon but that is a bridge too far. He was posting John Campbell youtubes.

put some respect on that, it’s Dr. John Campbell

2 Likes

jlawok.gif

RN John Campbell, apologies, you are right

1 Like

I think some here, and maybe all of us to some extent, fall into the trap of believing their opinion is the only good/right/just one or whatever. And the natural reaction is to respond to someone with differing views with incredulity at best. Ridicule, bullying or whatever you want to call it at the worst.

Even if poster x, y or z are objectively wrong that shouldn’t mean they are treated like crap. Much less so when we are talking about things that aren’t 100% fact or clearly right/wrong.

I know I have been guilty of it at times. I try not to do it but the temptation to hit back at the other person’s opinion or character is pretty strong and easy to fall into.

3 Likes

Lots of people posted worse in that thread. Churchill made some prescient posts about variants and symptoms that he got banned for by MrWookie (who clearly believes himself to be something of an authority on the subject) that turned out to be correct and didn’t even get an apology.

There’s your bridge too far.

Do you see the problem now?

Churchill posted horror stories about every variant until one ended up catching with mechanisms that made no sense repeatedly. Churchill also posted stupid shit about the UK v America, told someone to use a test with expired and open fluid, john campbell youtubez, and more. You’re living in your own fabrication.

1 Like

That thread turned problematic in a number of ways, and churchill got dogpiled at times, but lets not retcon this into churchill was a sage voice of reason or anything.

8 Likes

I don’t know about those vids, but I do know that if you treat me like shit for a period, you might find I can become pretty shitty. For me it doesn’t even take very long. Not saying that’s what happened but church was treated like shit by assholes like caffeinNeeded describes above.

Leaving our difference in opinion about that aside, what action (if any) do you think moderation should have taken as the problems were developing that ended up with endless dogpiles onto the same person aka online bullying?

I can make you a list but probably shouldn’t post it publicly

But anyway they’re mostly leaving so it’s moot now, thankfully

Hey @SenorKeeed he can say the quiet part out loud.

I wouldnt characterize it as online bullying. I dont think that ascribes enough agency to churchill’s role. I do think he was given too much of the blame for problems in that thread and got piled on for posts that, if they were made by others, wouldnt have been treated nearly as harshly.

I dont have a moderation philosophy. Light touch and more heavy handed moderation can both work. So I dont really have a view on what proper moderation should look like. People not acting like assholes certainly makes moderation easier.

5 Likes