About Moderation

Wait, commonWealth is gone?

Holy shit dude did you ever post on 2+2? You do remember that KEEEEED goes back to then right?

He requested his account be deleted.

Curious what the cooling off period you guys settled on for account deletion is. Two weeks?

Oh, ok, thanks for the reply.

The forum voted that requests to delete accounts should just be followed through with no cooling off period.

1 Like

Spidercrab mentioned a cooling off period in his recent post in the admin thread though.

At the risk of possibly seeming to add support to your poorly-founded argument, YOU ARE IKES.

2 Likes

I think that’s more because spidercrab doesn’t want to do any “real” admin or mod type stuff (he’s an admin just as a backup and to do a few tasks) and so he may have asked goofyballer to think about it for a while before going through with it but I’m purely speculating.

I covered this in the thread about deleting accounts

Goreo was seemingly able to just click the “delete all posts” button and everything worked fine, when I did it it would fail after deleting 50ish posts and I’d have to reclick it, so the only time I deleted someone’s account I had to write a script to click the delete posts button and leave it running all night.

Site settings were also modified so that mods can only delete all posts if the poster has 15 or fewer so now account deletion involves an admin changing a handful of settings to allow it to happen at all.

Also, clicking through, that seems to be an odd interpretation of that poll:

A large majority chose either not to honor deletion requests, or to do anonymization and not deletion. I don’t really care though and it’s probably fine with me if people want to delete their accounts if the admins don’t mind doing it.

I’m posting this as someone who has hated the divison from the start and wouldn’t consider myself part of either team and has no one I consider an enemy. It seems very clear what happened was:

-UP was very lightly moderated, there were problems but they were mostly hashed out in the threads themselves to varying degrees of ugliness.
-Some felt we needed more moderation. Some felt we needed codified rules. Some felt we needed nothing. Factions started to build around this period.
-jmakin dropped the pm thread to the whole forum which ignited ww3.
-There was some very bitter posting which followed. I know I regret some things I said during that time. I can’t be alone in that.
-The divide deepened with the less moderation faction forming their own site and the more moderation faction trying to apply moderating here to achieve the goal of a less vitriol filled site.
-This resulted in lots of bans, specifically of a few posters over and over which further deepened the divide.
-With not much left to lose and plenty of bad feelings towards the powers that be here various levels of troll campaigns were launched which led to more bans which led to more animosity which led to more bans and on and on. And lets be real if the roles were reversed people from here would have trolled nmnm so that isn’t a dig. It’s natural to lash out when you feel like you have been wronged.

I fully wish we could all co-exist. Same as you clovis. I am just pretty skeptical you can undo almost 2 years of the above.

16 Likes

Wrong

1 Like

What do you think their goal was? If it was to permanently banish your team they did a pretty poor job of it.

I would say that was the wish of some while the more vocal members wished to punish.

Fair enough.

You’re missing a crucial step between your first and second points:

-people involved in the first dogpiles developed a taste for it which led to further conflict and “othering”

Eliminate certain topics and the expression of certain points of view.

I’m of the general take that most people here wouldn’t be for that.

I should also just generally say that I didn’t post or read threads here a ton until recently again for about a year or so. So I’m sure I missed a lot of the interactions. The Covid and Ukraine threads seemed to be particularly conflict filled and for the most part I haven’t participated in those much(especially not recently) so that could be why I have a bit of a blind spot to your point.

1 Like

Believe it or not people just didn’t like posters like Churchill posting awfully in the covid thread repeatedly. No one actually liked dealing with him.

1 Like

That’s fine, everyone has a different forum experience. I recall one thread in particular, the covid origins thread. At one point (iirc this was for weeks), the thread was throttled at one post per day per user. You could only make a post once per day! That was kind of a radicalizing moment for me where I thought that whatever this place is, it’s not a discussion forum.

2 Likes