About Moderation (old original thread)

Do we really have a precedent for completely deleting accounts on request?

I feel like this has been discussed before but I don’t recall if there was any resolution (formal or otherwise). I guess I understand the desire for some people to remove all their content if they decide they never want to post again here. But I’m not sure I agree that the idea that “you own your own content” means that you can have it all removed on demand.

I think there’s a significant downside to deleting an account. In a nutshell, it ruins the historical record.

For example, I see JohnnyTruant was just deleted. He’s been a major contributor to many, many threads and all those posts are just gone now (I think?). I assume this also orphans all the replies, making those threads somewhat unreadable or at least very hard to follow. For example, the recent activity in “RFC:Unban Everyone” is very strange without all his posts. Imaging opening that thread today (it was just started yesterday!) and trying to make sense of it now.

I feel like there’s significant value in maintaining the record of exactly who said what and when. So I hope that’s taken into account going forward with this kind of request.

(Also just remembered that JT was a major participant in the early attempts at formalizing the rules and policies when this forum was started and put in a lot of work in that area. If all those posts are completely lost, that’s a significant loss for anybody who might want to revisit that issue.)

2 Likes

Thank you for the time and thoughtful care you took in deleting that account. I think you struck a good balance between Duker’s legitimate concerns and the poster’s wishes.

4 Likes

None of our various communities over the years deserved to have this guy and all his contributions.

4 Likes

I appreciate the reply and I’m glad to hear that significant thought has gone into the issue. There’s no easy answer but it’s just a shame to lose all that content, including both the good and the bad.

4 Likes

I feel the same way about Jesus

Too good I guess, rivermane banned him

di-caprio-godo

4 Likes

I didn’t ban him

lol you silenced him. Same thing.

I silenced Yuv for a post someone else reported. I didn’t do anything to USC Cheats

Why did you tell Crunchy you didn’t ban yuv then?

I unsilenced him. You are both doing the same thing here and it’s between you two. You silencing him here without any input from anyone else on your own accord won’t stand. If you dish it out you’ll have to take it.

1 Like

Lolololololol

Lol he got reported by someone else for a post in a separate thread that had nothing to do with me. A+ job

1 Like

I’ll admit I’m not up on the governance procedures for the forum, but is it considered normal for moderators to unilaterally reverse the actions of other moderators without any consultation?

1 Like

I pmed you to ask which post of mine included a “personal attack”. You replied with a quote from the post i wrote about -you-.

You also specified that I am trolling and personal attacking on multiple threads. Since I only wrote in two threads (not including a link to a Joey Votto video, which might be considered a personal attack by some I suppose), this thread is by definition included in your ban.

1 Like

3 Likes

Only bad ones.

6 Likes

yuv was shitting all over the covid thread with moronic trolling nonsense. Thanks for bringing it back. Why it’s apparently too much to PM riverman or actually look into things for a few minutes is beyond me.

1 Like