About Moderation (old original thread)

Ok but there’s something about Keeed too?

Goreo gave his own cliffs if you search his recent posts.

He anonymized Keeed on his way out the door at Keeed’s request.

Alright well that sucks. Histrionic gonna histrionic though I guess. Seems like meb had the right idea and the wrong execution.

1 Like

so do we have any admins left? they’re dropping like flies.

Can somebody de-mod the symbol formally known as meb? Is that an admin that needs to do that?

Yes. It needs to be an admin. I’ve messaged SpiderCrab about this.

1 Like

Counter proposal - we need to organize a drive to spidercrab’s house and drink some of the beers he keeps complaining are taking up his beer cave space.

1 Like

oh that was meb’s account that resigned. i was confused because he pinged an admin in there. nm, you may now resume your regularly scheduled circle jerk.

Also, considering the recent developments, can Clovis remain mod if he wants to? I think Matt (or maybe it was another mod or two mods) requested to be de-modded, but then carried on modding after their request was ignored.

I don’t even know how many mods we have but it should be 3 or maybe 5 and controversial decisions should be voted on by the mods. The problem here is bickering and the solution is clarity in where power resides. Contra @clovis8 we do not need “democracy” in the sense he means it because that means bickering. If having a say in forum governance involves keeping up with forum drama then that is a recipe for being governed by drama queens. I expect to be able to vote on people to have authority and then forget about it.

6 Likes

LOL, thanks for the kind thoughts but no, because…

Yes

I don’t want to prolong the drama, but I wanted to make a couple of points:

• Being an admin is not really a burden at all. But that’s because I don’t do anything in terms of moderation decisions, nor do I have the talent to do anything meaningful in terms of improving or fixing the site. That’s one of the reasons it was so bad to see goreo step down. He and zikzak were actually good admins, in that they had the ability and willingness to actually keep this site running and make it better. IMO, any events that make them, or people like them, less willing to be admins are inherently bad. I’m very happy olink is willing to put time in to help out on this front.

• I’ve DM’d both clovis and meb to confirm that they want to be de-modded. That’s something I’ve always done when mods have asked to step down early. Once I get a confirmation, I’ll de-mod. If they change their mind, I won’t.

• I will be de-modding catface and riverman now that their terms are up.

• I hope people continue to post interesting content here. If I can encourage that by having some of you road trip to Dublin, Ohio to drink a bunch of my beer, that seems like a good trade.

5 Likes

But I think you have played a role in prolonging the drama. Technically it’s still Festivus as no one has completed the Feats of Strength. As you are the presumed head of our digital household, that would require you to post your home address, and someone drives to your house and pins you on the floor. Until then, the Airing of Grievances will continue.

1 Like

Well regarding meb let us know in some reasonable timeframe so that we know if we have to proceed with the RFC or not.

This is a fair point. I can be reached at:
7668 Sawmill Road
Dublin OH 43016

1 Like

Meb has confirmed that he wants to be demodded, so I will be doing that shortly. He has also asked for his account to be deleted, but that’s a moderator call.

That’s brave posting that address like that.

The setting “delete_all_posts_max” is currently set to 15, it needs to be increased to ~5500 to allow moderators to delete meb’s account. I’m going to anonymize it at meb’s request once he’s demodded and will attempt to delete it if the setting is changed and clicking the delete all posts button decides to work.

goreo always asked for mod permission before deleting accounts (he also deleted marty).

And mods can’t delete accounts.

We can, the settings are just at the Discourse default which limits us to deleting brand new accounts.

Part of it is that I feel like deleting a user falls on the other side of the admin/moderator line that I’ve drawn in my head. But the bigger issue is that I actually hate the idea of deleting users entirely, especially prolific users with a history of good posts. IIRC, goreo (who is a better, kinder person than I am) actually went to great care to make sure that the threads that JT had started were preserved somehow.

So I selfishly really don’t want to delete the full user history. If everyone else is like, “Yes, it is appropriate to do that upon request; anonymizing is not enough”, then I’ll raise the limit on how many posts can be deleted. I would just prefer not to.

1 Like