About Moderation (old original thread)

Some people should accept that they are a minority opinion and that they are going to get piled on when they go against the majority.

Ok. And they should also then not respond to all the accusations and attacks, and sometimes even actual questions? Including shit that is totally made up?

1 Like

Thatā€™s up to them. Some people think that the way to deal with trolls is to not respond.

But you donā€™t need to reply to everything and you donā€™t need to get the last word in.

People should be free to pile on to churchill or you or me or anyone else in the same way that they should be allowed to pile on to a Trumper on this forum if one should arise of if someone posts bad takes about Elvis. The mods shouldnā€™t be forced to adjudicate who is right.

Posters should be allowed to be wrong so long as they color within the lines. Certainly, where those lines are placed are up for debate, but Iā€™m in the camp of being more permissive than you would be, it seems.

Ok, sure. And the people being piled on should also be able to respond. And other people should be able to chime in if they choose.

Yeah I donā€™t really follow NBZā€™s point there, JT often makes posts that he specifically says will go against the majority opinion so itā€™s not like heā€™s unaware that heā€™s posting against the grain.

My (admittedly naĆÆve, stupid, and so far wildly unsuccessful) hope is that eventually people are able to let go of their mental spreadsheet of past perceived wrongings by other posters and come to some kind of dĆ©tente where they agree to live and let live. There has to be somewhere for the discussion to take place for that pie in the sky goal to be achieved.

If this is referring to the

post that was apparently a reference to an I Think You Should Leave sketch. I donā€™t see any other JT posts that might be considered gratuitous shots, so this is just a best guess on my part as to what youā€™re referring to.

Does this apply equally to mods, or are you intending to continue handing out bans for some posters where a warning suffices for others?

This isnā€™t going to happen. The same perpetually aggrieved posters arenā€™t going to stop because youā€™ve asked them nicely to stop.

Some people donā€™t seem to be able to learn the lesson that ā€œfuck youā€ isnā€™t an appropriate response if you wish to respond. Other people donā€™t seem to be able to grasp the difference between saying ā€œfuck youā€ and implying the same sentiment without crossing the line. We could have some much more civil bickering if people could just control themselves and learn the rules of engagement.

Iā€™ve tried to be consistent in warning people then handing out a ban if the warning was ignored. Admittedly there have been a few times where Iā€™ve banned people without this courtesy because they had been previously warned or were clearly angling to be banned but Iā€™ll try to do a better job of being consistent.

This is a fair point, I might close the bickering thread and put together a new OP for hashing things out.

2 Likes

Unless the discussion is moderated in such a way that itā€™s focused on actually hashing things out and settling grievances, itā€™s going to become another de facto bickering thread.

1 Like

Iā€™ve changed my mind since the derail is continuing, here comes the choppa choppa.

if your gaslighting wasnā€™t so obvious it would be impressive.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not homogenous at all - there are people who love capitalism, people who donā€™t but think there arenā€™t any better alternatives, and people who hate it and want it gone.

While I believe this post was made in good faith, given that Johnnyā€™s reply was to a post of yours saying that ā€œperpetually aggrieved posters arenā€™t going to stop because youā€™ve asked them nicely to stopā€ it can come across as trolling so Iā€™ve hidden it.

Except I remember for a fact that Trolly has called out jman, told goofy to calm down, and has at least tried to mediate. Meanwhile youā€™ve never ever (at least publicly) asked one of your hound dogs to back off any of the number of people they routinely harass or done anything to help tensions in this forum except escalate them tenfold.

Yuv, I wish you and I could get back to a better place. I was out of line when I accused you of gaslighing a week or so ago and I regret that. I apologize for being a dick to you. I like your posting and plus you taught me how to make shakshuka.

3 Likes

Consensus decision-making usually sucks.

Thatā€™s more a characteristic of humans under a malignant system that rewards this behaviour, whether capitalism or authoritarian forum mods.

Humans outside such systems have an interest in being cooperative and kind.

1 Like

Dear everyone -

Go to one of these threads and look at cool things and cute animals. These are just examples; there are other great threads here. I promise you itā€™s a better use of your time than whatever this (and its sister threads) is lately.

5 Likes

In his defense he didnā€™t realize that this week had 3 Fridays.

5 Likes