About Moderation (old original thread)

Yes, I know what “drawing live” means. Why do you think I don’t (or pretending I don’t)?

I have no context for this conversation which makes it all appear like crazy pill down my throat to me so i’ll step aside. But while this might be a ‘me’ thing, I don’t think I’m very frequently being sarcastic when I say I don’t understand a post or ask for explanation.

Well then implying that I stated that we were going to be in a nuclear war is pretty dishonest.

We have at all times, in all places, in all contexts been “drawing live to nuclear Holocaust.” So when you say it in Jan. 2020, people don’t take the literal meaning, which is trivially true, but instead in a more “hey, this is somewhat likely to happen” kind of way, which would be the only non-trivial way to make a statement like this.

6 Likes

I told Jman he should be more empathetic and understanding to people being pessimistic and imagining the worst case scenarios because he once said nuclear was on the table. He said that never happened. I didn’t reply at first but then I brought it up today and said it wasn’t nice to lie. He said that I was lying about it happening. So I linked the post and asked him if the reason he believes the other guy is because he himself has a complicated relationship with the truth. It all seems pretty straightforward.

8 Likes

Man what a bunch of bullshit. Complaining about gaslighting and trying this shit is a special sort of crazy

Which part is bullshit?

1 Like

Also I’m not complaining. I don’t care if that guy wants to go for it, I was just making an observation and expressing that I was surprised he’d try. You know, with that search function existing and me being crazy enough to use it.

It’s not, but also I didn’t say you said it would definitely happen. See Cassette’s post.

Can you pay your losing Covid bet before you go please?

3 Likes

I will second this. I have also thought a few posters have been able to habitually cross the line with churchill with zero consequence. Others may disagree but I don’t think he is here in bad faith. That being said it’s obvious he has a certain viewpoint on Covid most of us don’t agree with. That shouldn’t make it open season on him though. Deleting posts or temps for egregious misinformation seems fine but every post he makes is followed up by personal attacks by the same 2-3 posters for months. I think bad faith trolls (RAIDS for example) deserve that but I wouldn’t put churchill in the same category.

4 Likes
  1. Churchill hasn’t been permanently banned

2. I used to think the same about Churchill posting in good faith, but Churchill has clearly not been posting in good faith for the past few months. His latest claims about Covid being in Barcelona in March 2019 and France in Fall 2019 was especially bad dishonest trolling bullshit. That wasn’t a ‘different opinion’, that was obvious bad faith nonsense.

Totally agree… that’s also not what was done whatsoever. For example:

That is textbook bad faith stuff.

I don’t see what point 1 has to do with anything. I mostly stopped reading the Covid thread months ago because your tone towards the other posters is miserable. So maybe you are right on #2 but from my perspective most of churchill’s posting was about concern over variants diminishing the effectiveness of the vaccine. Even if he is wrong about that, that seems like a fairly common take I have seen experts fret about.

Anyways I’m not here to defend the substance of his posts really. I’m just saying he hasn’t been a bad faith poster from my perspective. Nor a troll. It’s obvious he believes what he posts.

That isn’t bad faith posting even if he is wrong.

10 Likes

You don’t read the covid thread because of my ‘tone’, and you have an opinion on Churchill’s posting in the covid thread, but you don’t read it.

Well then. I’m left wondering how you have an opinion at all. Churchill hasn’t eaten bans for his point of view. Openly stating that you don’t read the thread, but defending Churchill’s posting in it makes no sense whatsoever and seems more than a little dishonest.

1 Like

I have an opinion about a year of you being the self-hailed site Covid expert and the way you treat anyone who disagrees with anything you say.

Even if you are actually right you come across as a total dick to a lot of posters in that thread. You have made hundreds of personal attacks. What exactly does that accomplish other than to stroke your ego exactly?

Lol at the edit. I specifically said I’m not defending the substance of his posting. Now that is some bad faith if you want an actual example.

10 Likes

You can try to make this about me all you want, I do not care that won’t work. Your defense of Churchill’s posting is dishonest… you haven’t even read it. His latest posting has been exactly the type of posting you say RAIDS does, you just don’t know about it.

If you have a problem with me, you can just tell me or complain about it instead of defending churchill in bad faith.

You’re saying that it’s not dishonest bad faith posting. It obviously is. You can see my example above, it’s got very bad.

I’m not aware of the recent spats tbh because I haven’t read it in a while.

What I’m saying is that I haven’t seen churchill habitually abuse other posters while taking a lot of abuse. I didn’t call you out in my original post either. You showed up on your own to take more shots at him.

If he is posting disinformation or the like it seems like the moderators are on that. Report the post, ignore him and move on.

1 Like

Churchill’s posting style can be abrasive, he no doubt contributes heavily to most of his COVID posts turning into grudge matches. Count me in the wish he stays camp and thr wish everyone would turn the temp down on the COVID thread. If ever a subject called for humility and patience, it is COVID.

6 Likes

I’ve e already asked in the Covid-19 thread for Churchills posts to be left up (The BBC ones) and if members what to dissect & explain them then that’s all the better to the likes of me and we’ll I’m sure some other posters too, whether that’s lurkers or future visitors.

To me this forum thrived when complex information is laid out in a layman’s terms and everything Churchill has posted is from supposid reputable sources since not once that I can remember has any poster called out the actual source and when a poster is maybe miss reading charts and graphs etc then others will be too.

Or do we need a PhD to enter? /s

+1,000

2 Likes