About Andor, and lesser Star Wars things

I think what I’m slowly realizing is that while I always considered myself a SW superfan/dork, I’m really not. I was 7 when Episode 4 came out so I’m right at that age to have grown up with the OT and loved it, and nothing else has cleared much more than the “watchable” bar for me since then.

Hated most things about both the prequel and sequel trilogies, thought R1 was fun, Solo was better than expected but just ok, Mando is predictable and meh. Never watched the cartoons and don’t know anything about Ashoka and why people are excited about her and shit.

It’s a little depressing to admit, but now since I pretty much dislike over 2/3 of the franchise, it’s time to say I’m not a Star Wars fan, I’m a fan of three specific movies released between '77-'83. I mean maybe one or two of the eighty bazillion new projects they just announced will be good, and I’ll probably check them all out, but I don’t have much hope anything will drag me in.

3 Likes

Has anyone ever gone down the dark path and made it back? Vader doesn’t really count because he died. Because Grogu was torturing those stormtroopers in anger. That seems pretty bad. It’s not gonna be realistic if Mando saves him when he doesn’t have training in the Force.

Would be amazing if Baby Yoda turns to the dark side permanently but I don’t think Disney has the courage to pull a twist like that.

1 Like

Hot take, it’s dumb to be “a fan” of a corporate brand name. Like I’m not a fan of Kelloggs I just like the taste of crunchy nut corn flakes.

I’d watch a spinoff of Bill Burr’s character after being left on that planet. Maybe he can own a space tavern in the Outer Rim.

4 Likes

That is a little bit of a hot take. I’d liken it more to maybe being a fan of a new local restaurant that just nails everything, then the original owners expand to a couple more locations and it’s still great and you go all the time, even though that one location down on 70th doesn’t have quite the same service and the meat’s not as fresh.

Then eventually they go national and start serving you microwave-heated stuff like Applebee’s, but a lot of people still love it because of the name, and because they have all the same quirky stuff on the wall that the original place did.

1 Like

Agree.

Different genres carry certain expectations and base assumptions.

In a romantic comedy, the romance is almost certainly going to survive. We watch it to see HOW their love survives. Or to forget about that entirely, because taking it as a given allows the story to find conflict in something less obvious.

Or like you point out in The Mandalorian. Because we accept that Din is going to survive–if he dies, the show is over–we understand that even in life-and-death situations, the story will find conflict in something other than life and death.

1 Like

Does Kylo Ren also not count because he died or does he count because he had significant action and didn’t die immediately after turning back towards the light?

There are examples no longer in main continuity, such as Mara Jade.

Nothing that happens in the sequel trilogy counts because it was all terrible.

1 Like

With the introduction of Thrawn, I am feverishly praying they introduce Mara.

I’m fine if that never includes Luke, though it’d be awesome if they cast Sebastian Stan as young Mark Hamill/only slightly older Luke and told the stories between Jedi and Force Awakens.

1 Like

Speaking of Luke rumors…

Luke Rumors

If you’ve seen The Last Jedi, you probably already guessed where we’re headed. What happened to Luke’s Jedi students? Kylo Ren killed them all after he turned to the Dark side. So that means if Grogu winds up training with Luke, it’s totally possible he’ll be murdered by Ben Solo a few years before The Force Awakens.

This might be extremely upsetting, but it’s also weirdly poetic when you consider the greater Star Wars narrative. We know Baby Yoda was at the Jedi temple on Coruscant around the time of the prequels but somehow escaped Order 66. That means Darth Vader failed to kill Grogu while he was taking out the rest of the younglings. If this theory is correct, Kylo Ren will have literally finished what his grandfather started

This is not so much as a rumor as a wish but maybe they can pretend the last trilogy never happened and go from there

It’s a wish I hope is a rumor I hope is true.

There was also a rumor/wish that Disney would use time travel to erase the recent trilogy. Lol I’ll allow it.

1 Like

There were rumors awhile back that they were going to do just that. That’s what I hope they do and I think it’s the easiest solution.

2 Likes

Hey, some asshole disney exec invalidated nearly 30 years of canon in a single afternoon, who’s to say they won’t nix these too in the future when it’s time for a reboot?

How they have treated this franchise is a shame. This show is one of the only good things to come out of the Disney acquisition of star wars, so I am surprised at the largely negative reviews here.

We should just be thankful it’s watchable. Seriously. The new movies aren’t, with the possible exception of rogue one.

4 Likes

Opening crawl…

Visions of a dark fate!

Recently awakened from a Force Dream in which Luke foresees a terrible future, he embraces a second chance to disappoint a new group of fans.

1 Like

What do you think of Patty Jenkins helming the announced Rogue Squadron TV show?

I’m tentatively hopeful for the Alien show.

I think it’s a film, but I have no opinion. I haven’t seen anything she’s directed.

I hope they continue to get talent like Favreau behind this stuff instead of relying on incredibly overhyped HACKS like jj abrams. Fuck it, just let favreau write a whole new sequel trilogy. I’m positive it’d be watchable.

You guys are more critical of Star Wars than you are Trump.

1 Like

I thought most people here like it at least a little.

Pole: how are you liking The Mandalorian overall?

1 =

hate

5 =

happy

0 voters

1 Like