A Call to Ban NotBruceZ for Consistently Endorsing Violence

There have been a handful of posts now, if not more, in which NotBruceZ crosses the line egregiously. I find it repulsive, not befitting of our community, and a moral liability.

This goes beyond a poor attempt at humor or a single/rare angry post. It is clear to me that NotBruceZ endorses violence in the name of politics, and we must not stand for this.

We need a process for banning users and as far as I’m concerned he’s already gotten to stay longer than he should, given what he’s posting.

I like there being no process and having to do something like this ad hoc.

Also, I dunno about banning. I’d like to know who NotBruceZ is from 2p2. Anyone know?

Maybe we should have a censure option first?

I’m on board with requesting that he cool it.

1 Like

Honestly, the posts I’ve seen have read more like bluster. I don’t think they rise to the level of threats or liabilities to the site.

Even if they’re found to be liabilities by the people whose real names are connected to the site (I don’t mind them having the final say in this), I think a warning is in order before banning.

1 Like

I would say no as of right now and agree with microbet by requesting he tone it down a notch.

Tbf In these times I think it’s best not to over react and requesting a poster cool down is acceptable imo.

I think all posters should get an extra chance during Trump times :joy: in all fairness he/GOP do makes you a bit frustrated. (unless it’s a deplorable from 2/2):face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I think his name was very similar to notBruzeZ on 2+2 if not the same. With numbers and he was basically the same I think. :thinking:

I read it as semi-joking/trolling.

I would appreciate examples being given before giving an opinion.

I would not feel comfortable voting to ban him. Think it should be mostly up to the people hosting this site since they are the ones who will ultimately be responsible for its content.

Did not me to post this to you deuce but i dont know how to unquote you.

Considering there doesn’t seem to be a lot of fresh, new blood: I think we should be very hesitant to oust posting members.

Then again, some people feel emboldened pushing up against the limits with no repercussions. Has anyone tried talking to him directly about it?

His posting didn’t seem that much worse than when people start talking about guillotines, tbh.

Most of it seemed like stuff you’d hear on Chapo.

5 Likes

I agree with Cuse, but we need some examples in here. I can do it in a few hours if no one else gets to it first.

Harassing posters into quitting seems a bigger problem.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any real legal liability but some of this shit is just obnoxious and makes this place worse. I don’t want us to become some kind of mirror image of 8chan.

Feel free to start a thread calling for banning me, if you feel like I should be out.

That’s my concern as well.

I don’t want him to quit, just take it down a notch or two.

1 Like

I like his posts, don’t want to see him go anywhere, I just wish he would self correct. I’m not personally comfortable with wishing any kind of violence on people, I even get a bit uneasy at wishing people dead; not because in my private thoughts it doesn’t cross my mind, but I don’t want it spelled out on the internet for various reasons.

2 Likes

It’s tricky imo because imo he’s doing it on purpose to push buttons/troll. It’s not like cactus or someone (like me maybe) who gets caught up in a rant sometimes.

If not for our sake, he should tone it down for his own sake. Posting like he does in the world we live in will get you on a list for real.

1 Like

And sorry for promising and then reneging, but I’ve had a bunch of stuff come up and can’t compile quotes today.

Here are some of NotBruceZ’s deleted/reported posts:

August 6: “Unthinking conservatives are part of the problem. The lack of thought on their part could be taken as an argument they lack sentience and deserve to be crushed like vermin.”

August 8: “I’m rooting for ISIS to do things that make Trump look bad.”

August 8: “When something like this happens, I am very tempted to pile on and suggest that I am happy that the gun idiot gene isn’t getting passed on. I’ve lost my patience with these people. Maybe they don’t deserve help or comfort when gun-related tragedy befalls them.” (This in response to a story about a three-year-old girl picking up a gun that wasn’t in a safe and killing herself with it.)

A couple weeks ago: “That’s inefficient. The country would be better off if mass shooters targeted rich people instead of minorities.”

Five days ago: “I can agree with “fuck the Constitution”, but the idea of fucking Pelosi doesn’t get my dick hard.”

Two days ago: “A part of me wants another 9/11 just so I can say it wouldn’t have happened if Hillary was president.”

And now this: “Would millenials carrying out mass shootings of boomers shift opinion on gun control?”

That’s without a couple of posts that he deleted himself, and those are only the ones that were noticed and flagged/moderated/deleted. Here are some that weren’t reported:

July 29: “I’m thinking it will take multiple successful assassination attempts against Republican politicians to move the needle. Obviously, I kinda don’t advocate that, but I know it’s the direction my mind will go if I ever lose loved ones to gun violence.”

July 29: (referring to the shooting of the GOP softball game) “Not enough casualties, unfortunately.”

August 4: “The solution is obvious. Be more radical to move the Overton window leftward. We are in a situation where our broken government seems to be an impediment to a solution. Perhaps, radical leftists need to look for pro-active non-government solutions. I don’t know what those actions would be, but …”

August 4: “Also, Ronald Reagan was an ass who deserved to get shot and didn’t deserve to live.”

August 6: “If I wanted to kill these people, I’d just use poison. Good luck using a gun against that.”

August 7: “I haven’t really figured out how I want to start a topic on this, but I want to acknowledge that I am aware of and anticipated concerns about what I wrote. My mindset is that we are at war and there will be no unity, so we need to adopt more militant rhetoric on our side. If you don’t agree with that, then you can go vote for Joe Biden. How militant is a reasonable topic for debate.”

August 8: " So, here’s where my head is at. I don’t think I’m a threat to commit any real world mayhem, but I make no promises if Trump is re-elected. I agree with @jmakin:

Defense of the Dark Arts: General Policies, Tactics, and Tips for Triggering Deplorables

What this is is a war.

I don’t believe national unity is possible. I’m interested in changing the language we use to embrace this reality. Trump delenda est.

I am aware there are potential dangers. I am aware that I could be having delusions of grandeur that anything I write on some tiny internet forum that no one has heard of and few people will ever read has a non-zero chance of changing things."

August 11: “It would be foolish to not lay the groundwork for Plan B.” (This is referring to preparing for a violent civil war if we cannot win the political battle.)

August 19: “I would not be opposed to the idea of people pointing out where Pantaleo’s next job is, even if it is not in law enforcement, and making it easy to find him.”

I’ll stop there, I don’t want to spend too much more time on this. He’s calling for violence repeatedly, he believes it is or will soon be necessary, and he is trying to spread that idea. I’ve called him out directly, I’ve flagged posts, I’ve modded posts that others have flagged, etc… He was also called out here: NotBrucez, let's talk.

Yet he’s still doing it. He’s been given a chance to self-edit. Either we want to be a community that condones calls to violence, or we don’t. I don’t want us to be that. Hopefully I’m in the majority with that opinion.

3 Likes