2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

Palestinians should be out under a UN Trusteeship so they can attack someone other than Israel when they want to agitate for independence.

If you canā€™t joke about genocide, then what can you joke about?

Very good point. Letā€™s move it to that thread.

of course and i think everyone agrees on that, but i think in response to skydivers last post that israel thinks that they should be free from hamas violence while still allowing theirs to go forward, and if that isnt the case then they are free to do whatever they want to gaza.

Yes skydiver Iā€™m aware, both sides have been doing things for a long time but it seems to me like israel wants to continue doing the things they want to do and just not have the blowback from those things and if they get blowback then they think they should be able to do what theyā€™re doing now

and yes im fine with moving to palestine thread

1 Like

This is sort of true but the reason it happened is our primary system gives extremely outsized power to whackjobs who have been harnessed by social media

LC thread: 150 new posts

Israel/Palestine thread: 3 new posts

Me: hmm letā€™s see whatā€™s going on in the LC thread

:smirk:

12 Likes

TIL that hockey, basketball and football were all invented in Canada.

But Death Cribbage and Strip Botticelli were both invented in the good olā€™ USofA.

1 Like

Basketball was invented in the US by a Canadian.

1 Like

I need much more information on death cribbage

Iā€™d have a former opponent explain it to you, but of course theyā€™re all dead.

2 Likes

Cribbage? Been playing since I was 6. Nobody ever died.

Goddamn, LC thread popping off tonight.

I appreciated the discussion from everyone. Seriously.

4 Likes

I remember that she has big Klob Energy when dealing with her staff. Anyone know if substantiated? I kind of wonder if pretty much all politicians above a certain level are all doing that to some extent?

If the choice is between genocide without rockets and no genocide with rockets, the answer is the latter, and itā€™s not close.

Please rethink that comment. I know you arenā€™t antisemitic, but surely you can see how it could come across that way?

I think we must be speaking at cross purposes.

Because you clearly think that your position is obviously right and fairly uncontroversial, and I think the same. Given we generally seem pretty square from a moral perspective Iā€™m going to assume we must be missing something.

To clarify my position.

I believe that what Israel is doing in Gaza meets the criteria of genocide.

I believe that any position that explicitly or implicitly indicates that thereā€™s any conditionality or negotiation required before stopping genocide is morally abhorrent.

Calling for an end to genocide or a ceasefire should not be conditional on anything that Hamas does.

9 Likes

To add, and recognising itā€™s not at the same level. I lived in London during the period it faced terrorist attacks.

If someone had said ā€œwe can stop these terrorists attacks on your trains and busses but we need to commit atrocities against childrenā€ the answer would have been equally clear then.

What am I missing?

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit late to this, but I have mixed feelings. Reading it I understand how it happened. To me itā€™s a bit like those documentaries about joining a cult, where theyā€™re like ā€œit could happen to anyone!ā€ and Iā€™m like ā€œum, couldnā€™t be meā€. Iā€™m not holding myself out as immune to doing stupid stuff or superior to her or whatever. Iā€™m just like, this stuff wouldnā€™t work on me. I have various addiction issues and whatnot, thatā€™s where my psyche fails, this sort of thing is just not it.

I thought the lawyer friendā€™s comparison to false confessions was apt. People get into psychological states where they think the easiest way to escape from tension is to do X. For this woman X was ā€œgo along with this story of what is happeningā€, for some people itā€™s ā€œconfess to what Iā€™m being accused ofā€ for others itā€™s ā€œpretend my partner did not just hit meā€, for others itā€™s ā€œcrack a bottle of wineā€. People have many different irrational ways to escape what seems to them to be intolerable psychological pressure.

2 Likes

exactly