2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Does the U-Haul cost factor in gas? If not that adds probably $500-1,000 depending on exactly how far you’re driving.

1 Like

Narcan is a beautiful resource that is free and legal and can easily save someone’s life. Why wouldn’t you carry it?

Appreciate you sharing this. Can’t think of a reason it wouldn’t be helpful to carry some even if I never come across someone in need.

1 Like

I keep some in my car first aid kit. Never have used it though.

One thing to keep in mind when using narcan is that the goal isn’t to get the patient back to normal. The goal is to get them breathing steadily. Asleep but visibly breathing is OK. That can be tough to tell, and you should err on the side of caution, but reversing people who are breathing isn’t really necessary. Do it hard and they might punch you in the face, vomit, etc and generally will have a bad time.

2 Likes

Driving big trucks is fun.

1 Like

I think driving a big truck would just cause me a lot of frustration.

1 Like

driving uhaul sized trucks just stresses me out. and i’m someone that loves driving. i drive to florida about 18hrs in one go when i visit family but in a uhaul that would give me nightmares even broken up into chunks.

when i moved about 1300 miles a decade ago i paid my girlfriend’s uncle(who was a truck driver) to drive the uhaul and i followed in my car.

1 Like

LTL companies like Estes will drop off their trailer, you load, they pick it up, drop it off, you unload.

Not sure if that might be less than PODS. I know LTL freight is in a slow period.

Get Matched With Your Best Moving Company Today!?

1 Like

I should also mention that I’m moving apartment-to-apartment so can’t have a trailer or POD sit at the destination indefinitely. Probably only have a few hours with the loading dock, so we’d either need to time our cross-country drive perfectly or would need the service to be able to store the trailer somewhere

Buy a school bus and put all your stuff in it
Drive across the US to your destination
???
Profit

(a reference to what I did moving from NC → WA)

1 Like

Estes and any other LTL will store the trailer, but they absolutely cannot be relied upon to fit into a tight delivery window

1 Like

If you aren’t sure what to do with your shit when you get to your destination, pods make a lot more sense. For us, we had bought the house already and wanted to get moving in as soon as we arrived. Movers and pods wanted to sit on our shit for like a week or more, and we didn’t want to be living out of suitcases in our own home for that long.

16 Likes

Lol car dealers

1 Like

A bunch of hipsters in the northwest who want to build out a schoolie?

I don’t know if I’d call them hipsters, but they are plenty of younger folk with the time, energy, and money to do a schoolie build out here. There’s also a lot of margin when buying at auction from a rural school district in the Appalachians and then selling in a highly-populated, well-monied cities like many on the West Coast.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1663587893137534976?t=h3k38ElpjGbmnIsKMD67Iw&s=19

That convention sounds like hell. Lots of weird stuff, especially this odd bit from Neon Deion:

Sanders, more polished than his keynote predecessors, hit the right notes of flattery and ideology that the dealers were looking for. He sympathized with the challenges of running a family business dogged by disappointing progeny, and told the crowd that he ranks his kids every month, to combat the malign forces of youth softness. He knew the names of some cars when presented with the obligatory question of what new make he wanted to buy. His atavism came with the weekend’s most polish.

“We’ve got a soft country right now!” he intoned. Everyone cheered. “We gotta get back to the basics,” he said. “You all are providers, leaders, and conduits of change.” Later: “We cannot change; we gotta get back to the basics.”

“Applaud yourself,” Sanders instructed, and the dealers did.

AI bros are absolutely insane. The popular thing going around today is some AI app that can show you “the rest of” a famous work of art. It takes the painting, then guesses what would be going on outside its borders. It’s dumb as fuck. There is no “rest of” a work of art.

And there’s this. “lens-free” photography. Um…that’s not photography.

https://twitter.com/LinusEkenstam/status/1663563526089355264

Wut?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/slandrroid/status/1663571637122355202?s=20

12 Likes