2023 Israel Conflict - Ground Forces Enter Gaza

Israel having nukes means you can’t abandon them to a point where they would lose a conventional war as they like any country with nukes won’t hesitate to use them as a last resort.

US support (before this war) was 12% of the Israeli military budget. Israel could continue without it and just buy and sell more military equipment with China and Russia and France and Germany.

This is a good point.

Also this.

Edit: how reliant is Israel on US military technology? Easily replaced by other, even more awesome actors like China?

Somewhat, but mostly replaceable and Israel itself develops very sophisticated weapons.

Israel of late has better relations than ever with most of its neighbors (other than Iran). Saudi Arabia and Friends are pretty squarely on their side in the big divide in the region which revolves around Iran and SA, not Israel. There’s not much hope of military pressure doing anything. Economic and social pressure might though. It was effective with South Africa. That doesn’t really look to be likely either though.

2 Likes

Israel is a major defense manufacturer and arms exporter and the US has a national security interest in discouraging Israel from allying with China and sharing technology, some of which is American in origin.

So good times and no hope all around. Thanks for the info guys.

Hmm, I’d be very surprised if China would decide to back Israel over the Arab world. It’s a suckers bet.

China wouldn’t “back” anyone, they would trade arms with them and they would buy from Israel too as Israel develops some of the most sophisticated weapons in the world.

2 Likes

Sorry Canadians on this board, don’t attack us!

https://x.com/jacobkornbluh/status/1758613522634666295?s=46

lol buffalo must be defended at all costs

We probably went through Buffalo when we burnt down the whitehouse and we’re still standing.

Did anyone ask her what would happen if Israel attacked Buffalo?

1 Like

What if it wasn’t Canada, but just a small group of Buffalo-hating Canadians. Do we need to kill them all then?

2 Likes

Well if any Canadian did it, it means all Canadians supported it, and therefore they should all be murdered

/chesspain

6 Likes

While there are extremist voices in Israel that would want want you say I think the vast majority of Israelis would be fine living side by side with Palestine if it was an actual peace.

agreed, but unless the govt changes then it doesnt matter as palestinian oppression will continue and any resistance by gaza gets 10x the response from israel.

and i like skydiver generally, no issues there and i’m sure her heart is in the right place, we just dont agree

1 Like

This could have been avoided if politicians would just say they want a ceasefire vs a rehearsed speech that didn’t answer the question directly.

3 Likes

this. dont try to say it’s nuanced, or debate the term “ceasefire”. just say “I do not support the US funding this.” and stop voting to fund it.

Maybe they just don’t want to be assassinated by Mossad.