2023 Israel Conflict - Ground Forces Enter Gaza

https://x.com/MazMHussain/status/1722608676475711795?s=20

:grimacing:

I was replying to the legitimate target part of the post.

As for Hamas, I grew up in the era of Hamas sucide bombings in busses in cafes. This was during the Oslo peace process, the only period of hope in my life time. Sorry if I find it hard to believe that they would act differently if they were given freedom to get unlimited weapons.

The complete dictatorship and lack of religous and political freedom or you know, an election, should clue us in.

There’s plenty of blame on Israel. As the occupiers it always hold the majority of the blame in my eyes, Ive listed multiple aspects of it countless times. The useful idiots are still exactly that.

4 Likes

There is no doubt Israel holds lots of blame here but romanticizing Hamas as some kind of freedom fighters is absurd. They are a quasi-Jihadist religious fundamentalist death cult who has taken all the aid sent to Palestine and used it to build weapons instead of a functioning society.

If they were given 100% full sovereignty today and billions they would still be a quasi-jihadist fundamentalist death cult. Things like right of return are way down their list of desires.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with either of those posts. It’s all a big “what if” to speculate on how Hamas would act with a more benevolent Israel anyway.

1 Like

What percentage of the Western left can reasonably be categorized as supporters of Hamas? I know its not zero, but conservatives are motivated to amplify the message of these people to tarnish the reputation of all non-fascists.

2 Likes

List of Indian massacres in North America - Wikipedia.

What are our opinions of the morality of the linked massacres? A people facing extinction resort to the killing of women and children in a last ditch effort to turn back the tide washing over them. Vilified as subhuman savages at the time.

3 Likes

Characteriaing, “Hey, I don’t think the people of Gaza should be genocided or even locked in an open air prison,” as support for Hamas and all they stand for is asinine.

Not to mention, pointing to a religious minority as being fundamentally incompatible with Western society, who cannot be trusted with basic civil rights, and who thus needs to be contained in camps is not just problematic but is straight up Nazism.

4 Likes

Occupation is, arguably, a bigger driver of terrorism than religion. If it were simply a matter of Gaza and the West Bank being controlled by Israel, then the easy answer would be a two-state solution. However, enough Palestinians regard Israel itself as occupied territory that doesn’t belong to the occupiers, so there is no easy solution.

Is it really, though? Hamas has been around during times when Israel had a more benevolent posture toward the Palestinians. I think they were still pretty violent, eg using suicide bombers.

I wonder how the rest of the West compares to the US.

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1722669306406687146

Much more importantly than Netanyahu himself, though, is the Netanyahu doctrine, which has become the near-consensus of Jewish-Israeli politics. This doctrine held that Israel has beaten the Palestinians, that they are no longer a problem to contend with, that we can “manage” the conflict on a “low flame,” and that we should focus our attention on other matters.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attends a plenum session in the Israeli Knesset, October 16, 2023. (Noam Revkin Fenton/Flash90)

Throughout his near-continuous rein since 2009, this perception won the hearts and minds of Israelis, and the question of “what to do with Palestinians” — which used to be the main fault line of Israeli politics — has been removed from the agenda almost entirely, contributing to the hubris that led the army to drop its guard around Gaza. Last month, Hamas decimated that notion for years and maybe decades to come.

In the next Israeli elections, whenever they are held, we are likely to see a reorganizing of the political map, potentially creating three distinct blocs. It is too early to say how much traction each of these camps will have, but here is what they could look like.

The first is of course the far right, which has already been gaining traction since 2021, and which will try to capitalize on recent events. Led by the likes of Itamar Ben Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich, probably joined by some from Likud, this camp will say that no matter how this war will end, it just wasn’t enough. Israel, they’ll argue, needs a definitive solution based on large-scale ethnic cleansing, because, in their eyes, the entire land belongs to us and there is no room for the Palestinian people to stay here as a collective.

A second approach, probably led by Benny Gantz and Yair Lapid, will likely center on unilateral steps, such as a “second disengagement” from the West Bank, pulling down settlements east of the separation barrier, annexing the rest, and fortifying the walls encaging Palestinians in both the West Bank and Gaza with more concrete, more tech, and more soldiers than ever before. Part of this approach may also include the “mowing the lawn” strategy — essentially, periodically recurring military campaigns — to prevent Palestinians from developing significant armed capabilities.

The third camp is likely to be a reconfiguration of what used to be Labor, Meretz, and parts of Yesh Atid, in which a key role may be played by the newfound hero of the Zionist center-left: former Meretz MK and army general Yair Golan, who spent October 7 as a volunteer one-man commando unit, going in and out of fighting arenas with his gun and private car, rescuing survivors under fire. This camp will likely propose a return to the two-state separation paradigm, to be achieved through negotiations with the PLO. It may also try to advance some discourse of coexistence within Israel, promoting different forms of Arab-Jewish partnership in civilian life.

The latter two camps will be emboldened by strong anti-settler sentiments that have been growing in the Israeli public, especially since anti-government protesters rightly began identifying the link between the far right’s judicial overhaul and its ideological sources in the religious Zionist movement in the occupied territories. The rejection of settler pogroms, like the one in Huwara last February, has only increased, with many Israelis seeing current settler attacks in the West Bank as provoking a third front in the war.

Moreover, the knowledge that the Israeli army had redeployed forces from the Gaza fence to guard extremist settlers in remote West Bank outposts in recent months, which may have paved the way for the success of Hamas’ military operation on October 7, has strengthened hatred and resentment of these settlers. That said, Israeli hatred toward Palestinians has skyrocketed far more, and the remote possibility of a one-state or confederate solution being accepted by Israelis has further shrunk.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/aamer_rahman/status/1722641101528691193

Ezra Klein has had several interviews recently about this conflict that I found informative, if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Yes? I mean, they would, in all likelihood if they still existed, be violent. They could have been relegated to a fringe group with little support. Who knows.

They’ve never done something like Oct 7th before, and imo the ever deteriorating conditions in Gaza is the prime driver for Hamas’ actions rather than any intrinsic motivation fueled by religious fervor.

Maybe they hate israel cuz of their freedom

My question is has the Netanyahu doctrine really been decimated? Saudi Arabia already signaled they’re looking forward to normalizing relations after this dies down. The October events were horrific, but they weren’t existential and seemed to be caused by Netanyahu’s incompetence more than some paradigm shift.

I know politically there’s got to be a sense that everything has changed, but after 9/11 if we would have took a step back and said, actually Al Qaida won’t be that much of an issue we’ll focus on killing them and then go back to the status quo that’s what would have actually happened if not for being stupid and going into Iraq.

1 Like

He didn’t say that. He said they were a basically normal insurgency.

They are not because of their religion.

Bonomo actively justifying and promoting massacre and abduction of elderly, children and women. At least he’s not a useful idiot, he’s a straight up Nazi.

1 Like

What would Israel do if Hamas gave up power and effectively dissolved itself as a group? Has Israel offered any incentives for this to happen? (This post is unrelated to Bonomo, it’s just a question that has been on my mind).

1 Like

Who is he? I am talking about you:

And your insistence that Islam is that much more special evil is incredibly bigoted.

5 Likes