2023 Israel Conflict - Ground Forces Enter Gaza

Let the grown-ups talk.

Right, your contributions to this thread scream stable adult

4 Likes

Thatā€™s one of the three. You said ā€œbidenā€™s entire state dept quitting over thisā€, which seems to very much not be true. I wish it were, but itā€™s apparently not. My only rebuke towards you here is that you wasted my time - and it was precisely because I was interested in what you were saying. The people arguing with you werenā€™t even reading what you wrote. Believe me, proud non-readers abound.

Eta - I got 4
Josh Paul
Annelle Sheline
Hala Rharrit
Stacy Gilbert

3 Likes

This is clearly a lie. You obviously care enough to come and try to provoke. Trolling is also trite. A very good piece of advice I once heard was to argue to learn, not to win. If you only argue to win and lecture and pontificate, you will be miserable. And thereā€™s no reason anyone should respond to anything you say. As I will not after this post.

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/06/08/israel-hamas-war-news-gaza-hostages/

Iā€™m confused as to why Hamas lets the hostages be taken alive in an operation like this. Seems like they would have someone sitting with the hostages whose job it is to just kill them if the defenses get breached.

What do you think the motivations of a bunch of Palestinians in charge of hostage duty would be?

Assume they are real people. Not caricatures.

1 Like

Seems like not letting the hostages be taken alive would be one of them, since that would encourage more rescue attempts like this. It seems like Hamas had to make a conscious decision not to kill the hostages, even as they fought against the rescuers.

Maybe Hamas wants more rescue attempts as part of their overall plan to make Israel overreact and cause some kind of wider instability. At least Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s what Hamasā€™s overall plan is. Otherwise I have no idea what theyā€™re doing.

Or maybe there was some negotiation to let a bunch of Hamas fighters go, in exchange for live hostages, which neither side wants to brag about.

FYP

Youā€™re forgetting about the possibility that they were a bunch of cowards and flunkies who froze due to not wanting to be captured after killing hostages.

I dont mean Hamas as a political entity with a strategy.

I mean the specific people who were in charge of the hostages while a battle rages about them.

It takes 2 seconds to turn around and shoot someone in the head. I assume that if Hamas wanted the hostages dead in the event of a rescue attempt, theyā€™d be dead.

1 Like

No one knows what any of the terrorists were thinking or feeling, but I assume EV calculations went out the door when they realized in the din that they probably had minutes to escape or die.

You do remember how the movie Wargames began?

What does the evidence say about how hard it is to get soldiers to kill people?

Do you think that changes when youā€™ve been looking after them for some time, possibly months?

Or. Maybe they were worried about dying, or what was happening to their friends, or family, or dog.

1 Like

Does this frame help the analysis?

I really donā€™t understand any of this. Did anyone in Hamas have a hard time killing civilians on 10/7? They were calling their families and bragging about it as it happened.

But youā€™re speculating that the hostagesā€™ personal captors had a change of heart due to getting to know their captives? If so, that seems like a pretty big breakdown in leadership on Hamasā€™ part not to rotate the hostage guards.

Iā€™m not defending Israelā€™s actions and I have a ton of sympathy for Palestinian civilians. But I have zero reason to think Hamas foot soldiers are anything but cold-blooded killers who act more or less at the behest of Hamas leadership, until they show otherwise.

Anyway, Iā€™d still be really curious to find out how those hostages made it out of there alive. I think Iā€™d bet on a battlefield negotiation as the most likely scenario.

I donā€™t believe that Hamas has a great grip on their foot soliders and they are individuals. Some probably wanted to kill as many as possible and others probably only wanted to capture hostages alive.

I donā€™t think many people are just ā€œcold blooded killersā€ is kind of what Iā€™m getting at.

The way you positioned this was there was something to explain.

Im trying to say that when you move beyond the ā€œefficient cold blooded killersā€ frame of reference then thereā€™s a lot less to explain.

1 Like

They are presumably not all the same, though. I could easily see them putting the less enthusiastic ones on guard duty and the diehards are the ones that go on the offensive.

According to her testimony, Noa Argamani, the female hostage rescued yesterday, was held in a relatively rich family house. Not by Hamas soldiers.