2023 Israel Conflict - Ground Forces Enter Gaza

I focused on the thing I have actual insight on and do for a living, medical education

He died 44 days into custody. Did they kill him? Why, because he is a doctor and Isreali’s are just that evil? That seems to be the unstated suggestion of the article. I hope there is an investigation. Yesterday former MLB player Sean Burroughs died at 43. People sometimes die. (It was probably shitty conditions, but hey you take and murder a bunch of hostages and you lose the benefit of the doubt.)

In general the article has so much damning innuendo where a lot more information would be required to make any informed judgment (along more facts) that it looks like a propaganda piece for those predisposed toward the Palestinian side.

I didn’t believe the initial rape accusations vs Hamas and I don’t believe this propaganda piece either.

So you know what would happen to a hospital if their trainees were treating prisoners in this manner

——

Whistleblowers also said that medical team were told to refrain from signing medical documents, corroborating previous reporting by rights group Physicians for Human Rights in Israel (PHRI

“ The [PHRI report] released in April warned of “a serious concern that anonymity is employed to prevent the possibility of investigations or complaints regarding breaches of medical ethics and professionalism.”

“You don’t sign anything, and there is no verification of authority,” said the same whistleblower who said he lacked the appropriate training for the treatment he was asked to administer. “It is a paradise for interns because it’s like you do whatever you want.””

1 Like

So I know that interns being excited about doing their job isn’t a sign of torture. Interns like working with me too because I give them a lot of freedom, last time I checked they aren’t torturing my patients

That’s not what the whistleblowers say? They literally said it’s an intern paradise because there are no rules or accountability

Sounds like any county hospital in America

I have a feeling your hospital admin and the ACGME would not be amused if this is how they filled out their residency surveys.

““You don’t sign anything, and there is no verification of authority,” said the same whistleblower who said he lacked the appropriate training for the treatment he was asked to administer. “It is a paradise for interns because it’s like you do whatever you want.””

Please don’t. Simplicitus is far from a representation of the majority here and I think your content is excellent.

4 Likes

I would think not seeing as he gave an interview to cnn after the fact so unless the medical care there better than advertised it appears they held him as long as could legally then cut him loose

You’d be very, very wrong. The residents and resident leadership love that I give them freedom.

It’s actually a lot harder to be a hands off supervisor than hands on, and they have to learn hands on.

Regardless, your quote simply isn’t damning. I’d love to hear the actual examples of what inappropriate care is happening. As written, the authors risk tolerance and supervision expectations could be different than someone else’s, and it would be the same type of complaint as someone working at a county hospital. That’s happens all the time territory, not medical torture territory

They are hiding their identity from the medical record! Dude let it go, I know you just didn’t read the article so didn’t know how bad it was. You would be in prison and the residency shut down. They are treating the prisoners anonymously and not signing anything presumably because they absolutely don’t want their names associated to any of this.

Oh you meant the this in the later quote instead of the this in my post you were quoting?

Well yeah, with the exception of nyc covid in March and April they would have been mad about that. Because they can’t bill :wink:

Regardless, it’s still not compelling. Find me the actual things they’ve done that are inappropriate

I think treating patients anonymously without signed orders and documentation making it clear who did what is inherently inappropriate? So that’s the first thing.

The second thing is I think it’s inherently inappropriate to have an intern “perform a procedure he lacked appropriate training to perform”. The fact that some US attendings at hospitals treating predominantly poor minority patients still allegedly work that way isn’t as compelling an argument as you seem to think.

Those hospitals have better outcomes than their peers. That complaint is standard and not indicative of torture.

I’m not a fan of the anonymous documentation, but I can see why you’d do it that way as well.

I’m not aware of any setting in USA where it would be legal or ethical for a doctor to treat patients anonymously is there something I’m not thinking of?

The intern stuff I posted? It’s one of many quotes from the article. Did you read the article, or are you just cherry picking something you think you can argue against in an attempt to minimize or discredit the broader story that Palestinians, likely civilians, are being tortured and killed in camps?

4 Likes

“People sometimes die” amazing

And you need to clarify your “yous” here

“Hamas takes and murders a bunch of hostages, and civilians lose the benefit of the doubt” I mean this is literally the fucking logic that leads to shit like Abu Ghraib!

5 Likes

How the fuck is this your takeaway from the intern anecdote

What do you think Isreal should do?

I’m not reading the rest, you all are absurd. You’re just excusing (CN) or cheerleading (simp) the torture and murder of civilians and it’s horrendous

3 Likes