2023-2024 House of Representatives Shitshow Containment: MAGA Mike XXS

Looks like all the real action is in the secret side agreement, though the rules package itself is obviously a mess.

Those jokers really stood strong against the rules!

1 Like

Closest over/under, in days, for McCarthy Speakership:

• Other/Bastard (feel free to specify)

0 voters

Wouldnā€™t it not pass Senate and even get veoted by Biden?

Seems like the House Republicans are gonna pass a bunch of crazy far-right shit that will all get shot down by Biden or the Senate as a way to virtue signal.

Imagine if the Dems were smart enough to do that.

Tbf Iā€™m pretty sure they did do that in '19-'20 it just wasnā€™t widely reported on and went down the memory hole. Not super far left stuff but I think they passed an assault weapons ban and things along those lines for instance.

1 Like

I donā€™t think the problem will be the crazy shit they pass, itā€™ll be the normal/essential shit they donā€™t pass. Like for the US to continue meeting its debt obligations.

6 Likes

Itā€™s probably pretty clear but for the poll I figured

~100 days some random dispute blows him up
~200 days the debt ceiling fight is happening
~400 days is over a year and heā€™s tired of getting punched by both sides
~726 days even if Rs are still majority he also has to win another vote for Speaker

https://twitter.com/joshHuder/status/1613199771774390274?s=20&t=8nsoVXSRQ4ZK3cnPQyXfig

2 Likes

tick tick tick

Next week?

For some reason I thought we were ā€œsafeā€ until like May or something.

The debt ceiling is 100% proof the dems are in on it. They could have easily fixed this many times but simply donā€™t want it fixed. The media pretending otherwise is just knowing fraud.

Republicans have always caved. From the D perspective, itā€™s useful in proving just how unreasonable Republicans are. Dems donā€™t have incentive to change it until the government actually defaults.

Obama did cave in his cut spending for both Democrats and Republican priorities if we canā€™t cut a deal legislation.

President Obama has led the way on forcing government to live within its means through a balanced approach that protects key priorities and ensures that everyone pays their fair share. In August, President Obama signed into law a bipartisan agreement that kept our nation from defaulting and achieved significant deficit reduction, including a down payment on reform of about $1 trillion, by reducing discretionary spending to its lowest level as a share of the economy since Dwight D. Eisenhower was President while protecting critical investments critical to our long-term competitiveness. And under this agreement, Congress must pass another $1.5 trillion in deficit reduction, or trigger massive cuts to domestic and defense spending, providing an incentive for both sides to come together.

I too like to apply my breaks after colliding with something.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not saying their right, but the ā€œDems are in on itā€ talking point is remarkable bad.

3 Likes

The Sequester or whatever that thing was called where they had to cut some % from everything didnā€™t seem to be the worst outcome. Maybe weeded out some dead wood from the budget.

ā† (ducks)

Shock! All the dead wood is in healthcare and entitlements! None whatsoever in defense!

4 Likes

IIRC the way the sequester worked is they actually had to cut from every department across the board.

It was a very dumb idea to do during a recession though.

The dates Iā€™d seen varied and it wasnā€™t clear what milestone exactly they were talking about. The constant was that the real battle over the debt limit was coming end of June or so. Thatā€™s how long I gave McCarthy. I donā€™t think he survives that fight.