2022 World Series of Poker - Commonwealth goes on a heater

I dunno. Weird hand and i doubt i raise that flop often. Also i don’t really know what that 4b sizing oop from vil is. Got some strong button clicking smell in this hand but that works well for the clueless tourist vibe you claim to have so maybe it works out.

right, and 300BB allin with one pair possibly dead or dead to an ace isn’t great but riverman isn’t good enough to just check turn and play rivers, as any gutter that would bluff this flop or flush can beat him. Weird hand.

but maybe he gets heroed with like AQ, as yuv noted, riverman gives off the I’m a dumb guy with an ace line vibe here.

Flop is annoying this deep, raising to like 300 means we’ve defined our hand a lot more than his.

Right the flop raise was “I suck and this guy may get me to fold the best hand later if I flat.”

How fast did he call the turn shove?

He thought a little not much. 30 seconds maybe?

the 25k hu streaming on pokergo now.
also hu streams are very boring.

I essentially never call preflop with AK/AQ. I’m either raising or folding, and almost never folding AK barring a lot of evidence. I find it much easier to play post-flop this way, especially deep. Am I making a mistake here?

It’s so freaking deep. I would feel like such an idiot if I made it 550 or whatever and he jams. And my 5 bet range is not balanced, to say the least. Maybe that’s just playing scared, I don’t know - but this dude was super aggressive. I would basically never flat out of position though.

As played pre, I think I like call flop, call turn, puke and call river. I don’t see the value of raising flop unless you’ve done something to make him think you’re super fishy.

If we call flop, what do we think the pro bets on the turn?

I’ll preface by saying I don’t know much about super deep stack play, but 3b/calling pre with AKo seems fine to me IP. Flop I think I prefer flatting and keeping in his bluffs, especially if the A on the board or in your hand is the suit of the available flush draw, doubly so if the J is also the flush draw suit. If the A is the right suit it makes it really hard for him to have many flush draws here so you can pretty much discount those.

Anyway, call flop and evaluate from there I think. Likely calling down most runouts but not loving it. Raising flop and jamming turn only gets called by shit that crushes you and maybe a chop. I would be very surprised if he called you down with AQ or some shit 300 bbs deep, but people do dumb shit all the time I guess.

So were you good?

A super aggressive player bets too wide of a range on too many streets. You should be calling down wider and letting them hang themselves, accepting that sometimes they hit something weird.

It was a chop - same hand. Meanwhile, some food!

4 Likes

well it was a brave bluff attempt.

1 Like

I’d say you don’t have to buyin for 300bb, it will make it tougher to play most hands at that stack depth obviously

I didn’t, I was winning!

1 Like

I think pro bets almost 100% of his range flop and turn, except for a few monsters that he slow plays, and I think he bets enough of his range on the river to make that call good too. I don’t see any other way to get value when we’re ahead. Edit: this line under-reps our hand enough that he’ll value bet a lot of hands we beat on the river, in addition to any bluffs.

You guys have convinced me call down is way better. I was trying to idiot proof the situation but I’m basically face up with the flop raise.

Would like to reiterate that I know I suck. I play like 3 times a year and was never very good to begin with. It will probably surprise many of you that I’m actually really good at engaging the fish. Not so good at playing against pros.

I will say 3 betting a bunch in position is way more fun, even though I’m bad post flop. It also gives me practice trying to actually play poker.

Did you go back and play after dinner?