2022 World Series of Poker - Commonwealth goes on a heater

I doubt the coverage helped Zhang much but I think most players would figure out he’s doing some shit within an orbit or two.

He was just the guy playing super aggro that had the run good this year but it didn’t take him all the way like it did with Gold and Qui Nguyen.

I thought there was way more intelligence to his play until that Q4 hand he bet on the river with - that was a horrible bluff AND a horrible value bet all in one glorious 1 million chip spew. I don’t think it came even close to working, either, he basically got snap called in a bad slowroll attempt (imo).

That said if he had just tightened up a bit preflop and chose some postflop spots a little more judiciously I think he was playing pretty well with the image he had. I play very aggressive myself and there were still some lines that made me cringe a bit.

https://twitter.com/DanSmithHolla/status/1546993956721872897?s=20&t=6r6OKQh31IOiNXED6kIlUg

1 Like

sure but there’s a difference with it staring you in the face vs realizing something’s up but not sure exactly what the insaneness actually is
also new tables the next day everyone of them would know in advance instead of hey wait a second, there’s still a difference between some shit in an orbit or two and his turn/river bluff frequencies are what now.

all he had to do was turn it off for a little while today but those type of players usually can’t a real shame way more interesting if he kept going than this

all I got now is what knowing who kenny tran is from old wsop coverage and the two guys that won recently but nobody knows anything else about them other than yuv’s friend got soul owned by one during his win

2 Likes

Just looking at the chip list on pokernews and these are the guys still in that I had at least heard about before this main event.

Alejandro Lococo
Espen Jorstad
Frank Funaro
Kenny Tran
Koray Aldemir
Marco Johnson
Asher Conniff
Damian Salas
Eddy Sabat
Aaron Mermelstein

Koray is active on IG and seems like a nice guy, fwiw.

Yup and a big difference from “oh he seems to be opening too wide, but maybe he’s running a bit hot and only opening a pip too wide” to “oh 76o from EP, huh?”

Or “oh he’s tripling a lot, he’s probably overbluffing” to “wait that’s supposed to be a check flop and give up and he just tripled it!”

Yeah, should have like tried one bluff early, showed it either way, then tightened up substantially.

Did you miss the 82o hand?

probably, yea

He called a 10bb+ shove from ep with 82.

1 Like

LOL. definitely missed that one.

hey, 82 is way less likely to be dominated by big hands than face cards! galaxybrain

Wow they just replayed the Zhang bust out hand. Total blowup donation. Just awful.

I’ve played against this guy a few times. He’s kind of a sketchy dude.

https://twitter.com/Poker_Org_/status/1547015730918334465?s=20&t=O3bWZSkTCuPYC3FWF3bTew

Kamal Bittar and James Hobbs, who tangled in an all-in pot earlier in the day that saw Bittar take the chip lead from his opponent by cracking kings with queens, were just involved in another massive pot that saw Hobbs get some retribution.

Bittar bet 425,000 from early position on a flop of {10-Hearts}{6-Diamonds}{j-Clubs} and Hobbs called from under the gun. The turn came the {j-Hearts} and Hobbs checked once again, then called when Bittar bet another 700,000.

The river came the {9-Spades} and Hobbs snap-shoved for 4,335,000. Bittar asked for a count as he tanked for several minutes.

Bittar eventually flicked in a chip to call as Hobbs turned over {j-Diamonds}{10-Spades} for a full house. Bittar went to muck his hand but the dealer forced him to turn over {3-Diamonds}{3-Clubs}.

this is how you get the chiplead in the main and how you give out 4.5 million. He can be bluffing with a better hand man you gotta be fairly sure to call on that one if pokernews river card is accurate jeez. I get hero calls but not that one.

Wow that 44 hand just now was epic.

the old reasonable enough as it beats some bluffs but puking call spot with 4’s there

Um. Why did the dealer show his hand?

All-ins must be shown in tournaments.

2 Likes

Ah. I didn’t realize that applied to the river as well, I just assumed a player could muck at any time if he didn’t want to contest the pot.

Right, his threes are beaten by roughly 7364956475 different hands.

He has to put the guy on either exactly AK or AQ to make that call and you cant fucking do that for 4.5 million chips

It’s really annoying when dealers don’t enforce this rule because sometimes it’s not beneficial to be the guy who points it out. The same goes for when a side pot goes to showdown.