2022 World Series of Poker - Commonwealth goes on a heater

All of them. He played insanely poorly imo. You should listen to Polk talk about hellmuths HU game. He is not a fan to say the least.

No need to rehash the old debate though.

I’m rooting pretty hard against him. Hopefully he loses soon with aces. Justice! :grin:

Do you have a link to that? I’d be very interested.

He did a podcast series where he organized a draft of best players all time. Somewhere in that he chatted about his hu game. Maybe 2 or 3 months ago.

Ah ok, I thought maybe it was a YouTube video that would be easier to watch without searching around.

His podcast is always a YouTube video too.

1 Like

How do you rate you vs Hellmuth in triple draw?

I checked. He delisted those episodes. I found this one with some Hellmuth commentary:

but he is very measured here. There was a podcast before that where he dunks on Hellmuth, but I can’t find it anywhere. The best I could find was this clip.

https://twitter.com/dougpolkvids/status/1507057484065779713

ETA: @anon38180840

1 Like

HU is probably Hellmuth’s biggest weakness. That and any tough cash game.

He’s a much better mixed game player than I previously gave him credit for. Makes sense when you consider his strengths.

I mean it’s not like it’s a clovis hot take. That’s the standard take within the poker industry, at least to certain extent.

Not quite sure why people rather believe there’s a guy who has not done any technical study for the past 30 years, has little understanding of basic and not basic math concepts, has never released a single piece of coherent strategy content (including even a hand analysis during a broadcast or anything), there isn’t a single person who discussed strategy with him (or came forward with), almost no serious pro has ever praised his game (other than a single Galfond tweet i’ll get to later) has somehow found some miraculous exploitable strategy no one else had over the explanation that he is on a fairly extreme case of good luck, which isn’t that statistically improbable.

Galfond did write up his HUSNG matches. I watched the seiver match and thought hellmuth style was pretty effective at times. But -

a) it’s an extremely specific format
b) other husngs regs, like bosquets, firmly disagreed with galfond
c) galfond used that post later as a joke when he made fun of phil’s tournament play vs foxen, so he didn’t take it that seriously.

1 Like

I do think his whole act is super plus EV. He gets donated chips more than 99% of players because people want to bad beat him. That has to be a huge edge in big field mtts.

To be ~35 years in and still play the schedule he does and get results is very impressive imo. No one is saying he is technically elite.

don’t think anyone would argue his results aren’t impressive

Hellmuth chip leading now. That turn jam seems pretty bad.

Helmuth has said he only discusses poker strategy with Cantu.

I’m up 6 figs w my Finnish horses, mainly from cash games, so far 🫰🏿

5 Likes

I think it may be his biggest strength.

I’m not necessarily convinced he’s being honest about that.

I haven’t watched the Seiver match, but I came away from the Esfandiari matches pretty impressed.

That’s a huge part of his game, though.

Say what you want about Hellmuth but his WSOP results are impressive.

He has 5 bracelets and 4 second place finishes in the 10 years.

i have a friend who has 4 bracelet in the last decade and played probably under 5% of the amount of tournies phil played during that period.

no doubt he has impressive results, but so do a lot of others. that’s tournament life. variance is crazy and some people are bound to run extremely hot over a long period and some the opposite.

1 Like

What’s the view on current Patrick Antonious in the finnish poker community? His play was so disappointing during HSP this season

https://twitter.com/spraggy/status/1543451554522488832?s=20&t=bw9m3P5-udpLMC4f0FCqnA

Not sure how many of you know who Spraggy is.